Author Topic: George Gourley born at sea (1838)  (Read 3892 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Gourley born at sea (1838)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage in Paisley?  William Gourley and Mary Ann Johnson, 23 September 1827, Middle Church.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 July 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
There's a public tree on Ancestry which has a William Gourley born 1801 in Ireland, wife Ann Johnston died 1841 in Paisley, children:

Catherine Gourley 1830
John Gourley 1831
Margaret Gourley 1833
Sarah Gourley 1835
William Gourley 1837 
Thomas Gourley 1839
Marcy Ann Gourley 1841

All born in Paisley. Very few sources listed. It might be worth contacting the tree owner to see where the spouse information came from. There can't have been many William Gourley/Ann Johnston marriages.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun but I've looked into that one before - it's not the right family.  William Gourley born in Ireland in 1801 is on the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 census in Paisley and listed variously as either a Labourer or Brickmaker.  All his children were born in Paisley and there's no George.  It is interesting that the wife's name was Mary Ann Johnston though.  George's mum Ann was not listed as deceased when he married in 1858 so she was likely still alive then (unless that was an omission which it could be).

Thanks J11; I'll have a look at FIBIS. I knew about it but have I've never had anyone in India to look at before.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 August 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
The India Office records, including the records of the HEIC, are in the British Library in London.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian - yes I've found that they're in there.  I've managed to look at the William Gourley British Army records online and not been able to pick anything out (that's not to say some couldn't be him but since I know so little without a mention of his wife or son's name on a record I can't really rule it in or out).  I do think it very possible he was working for the HEIC though so will need to try that next.