Author Topic: Robert Biggar marriage 1726  (Read 376 times)

Offline Lyntochter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Biggar marriage 1726
« on: Wednesday 29 July 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone confirm that this document is in fact confirmation of a marriage?  I realise it says proclamations (banns?).  Also I thought the second name could be the name of his intended but cannot read the first name - it looks like Andson Eliott - is that a name? This may be the father of Robert Biggar, my ggggg.grandfather.  I know he was Robert Biggar from Hawick and Ashkirk is not far from Hawick?
Biggar, Dougherty, Jamieson, McLeod, Mackenzie

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Biggar marriage 1726
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
This is a page from the account book of the parish kirk. It notes money paid out to the poor and money taken in, through collections and other things, such as proclamation money. The box mentioned will be the poor box.

pay'd in to the box for Robert Biggar and
   Andrew Elliot their proclamations               01  08  00

There have been two marriages, Robert Biggar's and Andrew Elliot's. Each has paid 10/4d proclamation money. You were supposed to marry within forty days of announcing your intent, so possibly the marriage itself has not taken place yet.

This kind of record does not give the detail you would find in a marriage register, but it can be all that survives. The same goes for burials, where the only record may be payment for the mortcloth or payment for a coffin for a poor parishioner.