Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!  (Read 44854 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
So far (on our PCs) we have had to update the driver for a Xerox scanner and also install a newer version of VMware Player which we use to run Windows XP in a virtual machine environment ( we have a much loved set of games which will only run on the original pre-service packs version of XP). Our Brother printer works fine with Win10.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
On the plus side!  ;D ;D ;D

Win 10 appears to have cured a problem which I had when trying to close down Custodian on my Win 7 pc.  Custodian used to give me all sorts of errors on closing, nothing amiss with the data entered but the program always had a hissy fit and went around in circles, saving then asking to backup then asking to save etc., before finally asking me if I really did want to close Custodian.  If I left Custodian up and running over a few days, it then gave even more errors.  ::)

I use Custodian to collect data for a one name study (as do others who are doing a one name study).... a bit clunky, not very flexible, and in serious need of updating but its easy entry for the purpose I use it for.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
My Samsung N220 Plus netbook has now been upgraded and instead of the feeble Windows 7 Starter OS it now has Windows 10 Home! I've added Stardock Start10 so it looks very like Windows 7 but much slicker. Things are still updating and settling down but this 5 year old low-spec machine seems to be quite rejuvenated in speed and display. Really pleased.  What an upgrade.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Sunday 23 August 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
I have not read all the posts, so hope that I am not repeating something that has already been covered :-\

Is anyone else having a problem with rotating photos ???  No matter what I do to try and post a portrait photo standing upright, they always post lying down!!!!!! This problem has only occurred since I downloaded windows 10!!!!

Hope someone can help me, please!

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Friday 28 August 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
New topic opened for Windows 10 started, to discover if we are now a happy lot now that we are running the latest operating system from Microsoft!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=729427.new#new
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire