Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!  (Read 44864 times)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 July 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie, thanks for your guide re copying photos from mob phone to PC.

Tied up (!!)in the kitchen at the present time but I'll give it a go after dinner.

Cheers.

Barbara.

P.S. Yes, I have got Windows 10, I managed to install it o.k last night - wonder of wonders

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 July 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
I thought Firefox was closing down, as a few weeks ago I was going to start using it, but a friend told me not to bother. Have you heard anything?

I've not heard anything, all I heard was that when you upgrade to Windows 10 or get a device that already has it installed, you may be surprised to find that your default browser is set to Microsoft Edge by Windows and that Microsoft has changed how to set default applications.

However, I have Firefox and when I upgraded to Windows 10, it was still my default browser.

Lizzie

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 July 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
I'm using Internet Explorer and before Windows 10  whenever I clicked on download (from FindMyPast) another box appeared asking if I just wanted to save, or  save as. That doesn't happen now and there is nothing  to select Tools on the screen, so I have to go to my downloads then rename the file then move it to where I want it. Very annoying!!

In Firefox select Options/General and under Downloads, check 'Always ask me where to save files', and your save box will be back.

Simon

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 August 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
Taken the plunge and the laptop is now upgrading. It was stuck for 4 hours with the wheel going round saying "We're working on it" I then remembered I had Automatic Updates turned off, so switched it on. I don't know whether it was a coincidence, but after that it started the updates and has now reached 8%. It's told me to sit back and relax while it does it!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 August 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your  replies Brian and Lizzie. I'm using Internet Explorer and before Windows 10  whenever I clicked on download (from FindMyPast) another box appeared asking if I just wanted to save, or  save as. That doesn't happen now and there is nothing  to select Tools on the screen, so I have to go to my downloads then rename the file then move it to where I want it. Very annoying!!

If you are using Windows 10 you may NOT be using Internet Explorer - Windows 10 has a new browser Microsoft Edge although you can still open sites from this in Internet Explorer .... click on the three dots in the right hand corner and select Open in Internet Explorer.

I thought Firefox was closing down, as a few weeks ago I was going to start using it, but a friend told me not to bother. Have you heard anything?
Keith

New one and will come as news to the Mozilla Foundation especially as they have two new versions of Firefox due to come out shortly one of which will be specifically for Windows 10.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 August 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
Just thought I'd share my experience in case it may be helpful to anyone.

I downloaded from the website to create an install DVD. After 14 hours it had reached 54% . . . then it suddenly disappeared without trace  :'(

Not to be beaten, I started again and left it downloading all night and half the next morning and after 12 hours it finally finished. I burnt a DVD and started the install, but made the mistake of accepting the suggestion to look for updates. It then appeared to be trying to download the whole thing again so I aborted it and tried again but opted to leave the updates 'til later. The very limited broadband speed in this rural area caused most of the delays.

I selected the option to keep all my existing programs and data and set it going. The whole install took almost an hour, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find all my programs worked and all my docs, pics, etc were present. I had to let it find and install new drivers for the graphics card to get the best out of it but otherwise everything was fine, including Norton, although I had to log in to my Norton account to re-activate it for the new system.

I haven't tried every program on my system yet, but so far everything that worked in Windows 7 seems to be OK in Windows 10. In fact, once i'd uninstalled all the "new improved" features I don't need it was almost indistinguishable from Windows 7  ;D ;D

I expect I'll find a few gremlins over the coming days but my first day went better than I ever expected.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 August 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
HELP:  I've just noticed that my AVG icon has disappeared from the task bar and the home page now I've got Windows 10. Where has it gone and how do I get it back? I presume that the program is still there somewhere. Not too technical please!

ADDED: I've solved it by updating AVG from their site, running a repair and pinning it to the task bar. It's run a scan and everything is fine again. However, I notice that by putting AVG back it automatically disables the Windows security, which is okay as I believe you shouldn't have two running at the same time.

I'll leave this here in case anyone else has the same problem.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 August 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
I use Firefox and my downloads and for some reason are always under my documents (in a left hand column which also has This PC and Network listed).  I've no idea why it's there.  Perhaps many moons ago when I first got Windows 8, I opted for it to be there.
I dont get on with anything after windows 7 cant stand what's happening to computers these days. I was in the middle of doing s project for my husband with the idea of adding onto it gusaf hoLtz music to the plaNETS SUITE AND SOME OF THE VISUALS WHICH CAN BE SEEN ON UTUBE SO THAT IT WOULD ANNOUNCE HIS NEW COMPANY NAMED 5TH. DIMENSION FLOORS LTD, SIGNIFYING THAT HE CAN PPROVIDE ALL THE SPACE SANY COMPANY MAY REQUIRE
and because my o;d laptop gave u[ and he got me sanew one it has windows 8/.1 and I now cannot  get the bl.......y thing to work on powerpoint
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline emmygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 August 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
OK I  thought, give it a go. I installed W10 on my laptop when it became available.
Where has Skype gone? Why do programmes apps start up when my mouse pauses over them? With a bit of Googling that didn't take too long to sort out. Start menu has returned!! What are all these tiles from a kiddies book? No problem, unpin them. Firefox and Thunderbird work OK, as does OpenOffice. I'll just have a look at a file on my desktop PC, oops the networking seems to have disappeared.

Rolled back to W7 this evening. Still have to re-install Skype, but that is easy using W7.

Moral of this story: don't get caught up in the hype of the NEW IMPROVED Windows 10 if your PC does what you want it to do. However, if you 'like' or '+1' the Kardashians, go for it.

OK so I'm a dinosaur, I use my PC to actually do things and W10 was of no advantage to ME.

Have a nice day, if you want to, its not compulsory or mandatory.
Marchant, Grout, Worsfold, Woolgar all from Surrey.
Marchant in New Zealand.