Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!  (Read 44877 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 02 August 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
It takes about 2 hrs in all with fast broadband speed.  About 20-30 minutes to get itself ready to download, then about 1hr 30 minutes to download.  You'll have to be there as near the end it asks some questions about what your present files etc.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 03 August 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I'm reading all posts on here to help me (and it does)to get to grips with Windows 10.

I've had hiccups at times with it but I'm getting there slowly.

The one thing I'm struggling with at the moment is trying to work out how to change my Desktop picture/background.
Can't seem to find out where to look and how do it - any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 03 August 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
Put control panel in the "Search the web and Windows" box, click on Settings and one option is  Personalisation.  Click on that and go from there, it doesn't seem as simple as previous windows though.

What you can't do with Windows 10 is change the log on screen.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 03 August 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for that,I'll try it later.

It was so easy to change Desktop background on Windows 7, right click on an image- select Desktop background and Hey Presto  :(

Barbara..
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 03 August 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Put control panel in the "Search the web and Windows" box, click on Settings and one option is  Personalisation.  Click on that and go from there, it doesn't seem as simple as previous windows though.

A simpler method is to right click on an empty area of the desktop and select Personalise

The Lock screen can also be changed this way but the Log in screen (where you enter the password) needs a Registry hack to do this

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 03 August 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
A simpler method is to right click on an empty area of the desktop and select Personalise

Which is the same as with Windows 7.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 03 August 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
strip out all the App-junk, rediscover where WIN Update is and a few other changed places to let you 'Personalize' ..... mess around with NVidia Drivers, marvel at the fact its nowhere near 'finished' .... and the nett of it is that it aint too different from WIN 7 !

Mine never did download via the GWX Icon ... I went ahead and did a manual d/load to Upgrade in place .... which is a nuisance as my OS drive has ended up as the 'D' drive, and you cant use Disk Mgmt to rename it 'C' as its the active SysRes !

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 03 August 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Not sure why it would be changed to D drive  ???

I also took the manual download route and created an install DVD, as said in my earlier post, but it retained C as the System drive. Then I decided to delete my old Windows XP partition and use the whole drive for Windows 10. I couldn't do this from Disk Management so I used 'GParted' partition tool which took about an hour to do the job of moving 100GB of system and data to the start of the physical drive.

BUT . . . I then had to spend some time re-creating the Master Boot Record using the Repair option on the installation DVD. Not a job for the faint-hearted, so be warned  ::)  However, it did work perfectly eventually, but it took up most of my weekend!

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 03 August 15 13:45 BST (UK) »

Which is the same as with Windows 7.

I'd forgotten that.  I have a short cut to Control panel on my desktop, so I always use that - and it didn't change with Windows 10, so I can use the old Control panel which I prefer - probably because I'm used to it.