Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!  (Read 44880 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - E Mail Scam
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks all for the tips re Changing Desktop pic.

Falkryn, I tried all methods,including the old method of right clicking on an image many times with no success,but after your recent post about it, I thought I'd give that 'old method' one last go and it suddenly worked - I couldn't believe it after trying many times.

Could it be another little blip that I've been  experiencing since Windows 10 arrived and maybe still settling itself down.

Anyway, latest blip appears to be sorted at last - fingers crossed.I await possible further blips with bated breath. ???

Thanks all again.

Barbara.

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Since changing to Win10 (from 8.1), I've had a problem with Google maps (via Internet Explorer).

Say I Google for a particular street in a particular town (e.g. Jackson Street, Gateshead).  I get the little map on the Google page, and when I click on it, it does come onto the full screen - but only for a few seconds - before I'm just left with an empty grid. 

The Earth view is available in the bottom l/h corner of that screen and that seems to work as before, but when I click back to Map view, it's just a blank grid again.  However, if I activate the Yellow Man to go walkies in Earth View, it takes me to Street View, which is what I wanted in the first place.

Is this how I'm going to have to use Google maps in future?

Any ideas, please?
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
No problems now as I've set Chrome to be the default browser.
This concerns me as I don't like what chrome does to my W7

Not entirely comfortable with chrome
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
You dont have to use Chrome as your browser, you can use anyone you like - I just prefer Chrome and have used it for years.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
 :) I know, it was how I read that you said you had no problem once you switched to chrome ie you had problems before you did.

:)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
The only problem was that Windows 10 wanted to use Microsoft Edge as the default browser and opened with that everytime I logged on. I wanted to use Chrome, so had to set that as the default. If people are happy with Edge there is no problem.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Windows 10 e-mail scam  ::)

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/windows-10-email-scam-what-to-look-out-for-11363995391475

Sandra

Thanks Sandra - I've passed the info to our Neighbourhood Watch communications officer so he can send it to all the co-ordinators in our village for them to pass to everyone on their own road.  At least most of my village should get to know about the scam.

Honestly, these scammers are despicable, and are on the lookout for another way to scam all the time.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
The only problem was that Windows 10 wanted to use Microsoft Edge as the default browser and opened with that everytime I logged on. I wanted to use Chrome, so had to set that as the default. If people are happy with Edge there is no problem.

I don't understand why everyone has had problems with Windows 10 wanting to use Edge.  When I upgraded, everything I already used on 8.1 was exactly the same.  I didn't have to set Firefox, which I use, to default it was already set.  Perhaps it's just Chrome that Windows 10 doesn't like.