Author Topic: Charles K Liversidge 1841-1877  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Charles K Liversidge 1841-1877
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Charles was manager of Penmon Quarry who died on Boxing Day 1877, of typhoid according to his death cert., although the family had a vague memory about the lifeboat.  In June 1877 he had been rescued from the tide while fishing near Puffin Island.  His widow returned to her family in Liverpool with 9 children.  Charles is apparently not buried either in Penmon or in Liverpool, so has anyone any other suggestion?
He was not in Penmon long - he had been manager at Hendre Quarry near Mold until late 1875 or early 1876, where he seems to have been popular.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles K Liversidge 1841-1877
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Charles Kinder Liversidge
Wales, Caernarvonshire,
Death Year 1878
Birth Year, 1842
Age, 36
Event Quarter, 1
District, Bangor.

The province of North Wales and Salop has two candidates, Charles Percy Liversidge, son of the late Brother Charles Kinder Liversidge, quarry manager, of the Sir Watkin Lodge, No. 1,477, Mold, Flint- shire.
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3364411/3364413/36/liversidge

So the family did not leave Wales straight away.
I wonder if the Typhoid made a difference to his burial place?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course.  I picked up the Masonry reference yesterday.  It's just that I am unable to find where he may be buried, as he died at Quarry Bank Penmon (but not buried there) and his widow and some relatives are in Anfield, Liverpool, but he isn't.  So where?  He was clearly a prominent and popular member of local society - and had been in his previous position near Mold - and from a religious family.

The son mentioned, Charles Percy, was only 7 in 1880.  A younger brother was born at Penmon in March 1878 and named after his dead father, but he died in Liverpool in 1881, soon after his grandfather.  All were in Liverpool at the 1881 census, and it seems unlikely that they would return briefly to Mold (Nannerch) from Penmon for sentimental reasons?

Yes, I wondered about the typhoid.  He died at home, not in a hospital or infirmary.  Any ideas?  Buried at sea?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Or a mass grave? I wonder how many other men died in the area of Typhoid.

You would think being a manager he would have been less likely to get Typhoid but I guess he was a manager who spent time in the quarry with the men if you say he was popular.

Maybe a more local newspaper article or local history society might uncover his resting place.

What about his father, would they have taken him home to Kinder Liversidge's burial place? Family plot?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Mass grave a possibility I suppose, that would depend on whether there had been an epidemic?

Kinder L's 'vault' v.unlikely because (a) he died in 1892 and (b) that was in Gainsborough where his daughter's family was settled, and as far as I know Charles had no connection.  Kinder was from Yorkshire but found success as a wine-and-spirit dealer in Liverpool, with a posh house in Wirral.

The bit about Mold freemasons is likely to do with the education of Charles' eldest child, who was at Howells Denbigh.  Widowed mother had to seek support after Charles died, and turned to them as he was an ex-Brother?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
In January 1878 there was a dispute at the Penmon quarry. The men had not been paid,
a Mr Young , who was the brother in law of Liversidge had been the manager since his death.

Not what you are really looking for, but another link.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Most interesting - do you know any more?  CKL married Mary Emma Young (my gt-grandmother) in 1863.  Her only surviving brother at this date would be Henry Fisher Young 1833-1889, a civil engineer, who would be at least partly qualified to take over temporarily.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks