Author Topic: Can anyone identify this Army Regiment ?  (Read 5901 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this Army Regiment ?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
I've just read that, Quote:-

"..........................an insight into the important role that Gosport played in the Great War both as a garrison town and as a base for the Royal Navy in Portsmouth Harbour."

Here's your photographer,

http://www.lawrencearchive.com/index.html

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline zoot999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Frank,

I will email them with copies of the photo to see if they can give me any further information on the picture.

On the reverse of the photo it states "To Bob...from Bill ......Taken during field training....."

Now i have just spoke to my father and he says that " Bob" is Williams brother in law Bobby Bryden who was in the machine gun corps....

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 August 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I would go with Royal Marines as well. But location wise I'm not sure, the building doesn't match with what I know of Eastney Barracks or Forton Barracks. (Gosport home of the Royal Marine Light Infantry for 75 years).

This could be pre war or WW1, they are wearing the 1908 equipment which was in use until 1919. They are all smartly dressed which I would take to mean regulars rather than Territorials or new army.

So maybe a training exercise away from home barracks. Chatham still had Marine Barracks at that time.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline zoot999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 05:57 BST (UK) »
I can't thank all of you enough for the searching and hard work you have all put in.

One question is....

Does every soldier who served in a the military become entitled to a pension back in the 1914 era ?

On Williams death cert, it states that he was an army pensioner.

Could this be because he got gassed during WW1..?

Or am i clutching at straws again..? ???

John

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 09:50 BST (UK) »

One question is.....................................

On Williams death cert, it states that he was an army pensioner.

Could this be because he got gassed during WW1..?

Or am i clutching at straws again..? ???

John

There was a pension paid to Officers and men who were disabled or invalided as well as other pensions to widows etc, so yes it could well have been, there is a bit of information on the link below from the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/disability-dependents-pensions-first-world-war/#7-pensions-to-disabled-or-invalid-officers-and-men-before-1921

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands