Author Topic: Michael CROWLEY - immigrated from Ireland?  (Read 12322 times)

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael CROWLEY - immigrated from Ireland?
« on: Monday 03 August 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace some information on my 2x great grandfather, Michael CROWLEY.
I have no concrete information (no family stories or records) so what information I have is just trying to piece bits together.
I found a listing of immigration for Michael Crowley from Liverpool, 1858 to NSW on board the Golconda. Assisted passage, sponsored by Margaret Pursell. Occupation: labourer. Listed as being able to read and write. No family in Australia.
Also, a death listing from 28 Nov 1912 East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Eye and Ear Hospital; Occupation:Farmer of Pound Creek, 75yrs old.
I think he married here in Australia, Honora/Nora/Norah O'LOUGHLIN (I have no concrete records for her either) and I believe they had 12 children. On each of the childrens' birth records her name is slightly different, and on one, her surname is listed as HARKINS.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to find where Michael originated/was born (I assume Ireland) and if there is a marriage record for Michael and Nora? Any other information would be appreciated too (i.e. census or employment), or point me in the right direction of where to find the information.
Thanks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Michael CROWLEY - immigrated from Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 15 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Can you please give some further information about your chap,  Michael CROWLEY, your 2 x great grandfather. 

What  information is recorded on your great grandparent's Birth or Marriage or Death certificates that gives you the details about their parent Michael CROWLEY? 

If it is on great grandparent's birth certificate, then was the informant Michael Crowley, or simply named as the baby's dad?  Hopefully Michael was the informant, as that would be first hand information, and the information should be reliable.   Does it record Michael's then age, usual address, occupation, place of birth, when and where married?  Does it record similar information about the baby's Mum? 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi RayWitt,
   Welcome to rootschat  :).

Just adding a few links to what you probably already have.

It seems so sad ....   http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66182065

Two old residents of the Inverloch district in the persons of Mr and Mrs Michael Crowley died within the past fortnight. Mr Crowley died in Melbourne where he was under medical attention  for
for an eye -trouble. ' The news came as- a surprise to all, and Mrs Crowley re
ceived such a shock that she only survived her husband by a week. Deceased
were 74 and 75 years of age respectively

His death http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10495026

Her death (coming soon) .Leader Melbourne 14 december 1912
 Drummond-street, North Carlton (suddenly), Honora, relict of the late Michael Crowley, of Pound Creek ... , Inverloch, South Gippsland, and loving mother of John, James, Michael Austin and Nicholas Crowley, and

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:03 BST (UK) »
Good question.
I don't have any of the birth certificates, just the listings from Victorian BDM lookup.

My great grandmother was Cath CROWLEY
I have recorded that Catherine CROWLEY was born in 1880, Carlton (Registration Number: 13985)
In this record it lists:
Father's name:   Michl Crowley
Mother's name:   Nora Oloughlin
Being only the digital online record I don't have any other information that may be on the physical certificate.

Cath was the second last child born - Cath's first sibling being in 1864 at Woods Point.
From this I gather Michael was likely working at one of the gold mines in that area (the time frame fits) but again I have no evidence.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:11 BST (UK) »
Death in victoria
   1912 Nora Crowley
   Birth year about 1842
   Age 70
   Father's name     Harkin Austin
   Mother's name    Ann Droney
reg 13601

regards
   Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:14 BST (UK) »
The information on Victoria's BDM records is very very detailed, perhaps the most detailed in the world.

You can purchase and download the document immediately with your plastic card. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

May I suggest you consider downloading your Great Gran's birth cert.   It will give you information about her older siblings as well.   ;D

Here's what you should expect to find
Births   
  :) Date and place of birth;
  :) name of child and whether present or not;
  :) name of parents (including mother's maiden name);
  :) occupation of parents;
  :) ages and birthplace of parents;
  :) date and place of marriage of parents;
  :) previous children of their marriage noting living or deceased;
  :) signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;
  :) names of witnesses;
  :) date and place of registration.

Here's the link for your plastic card.... https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage     Use the reference no. you have already found for her birth.   (#13985) 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.
I had missed those newspaper articles.  I have requested an email for when the last article about Nora is released.

Looks like I will be purchasing the birth certificate for my great grandmother :)

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:58 BST (UK) »
Ok, so on the birth cert for my great grandmother it lists Michael and Nora Oloughlin marriage on 11 Aug 1863 at Woods Point.
Michael is listed as a Labourer, 37 from Cork Ireland. That makes DOB c. 1843
Nora (formerly Oloughlin) is listed as 35 from County Clare Ireland. That makes DOB c. 1845

So now the mystery of why Honora used a mixture of Harkin and Oloughlin?
My hunch is that she arrived as a convict and changed her name from Harkin to Oloughlin?

At least now I know when and where they were married.
P.S Vic BDM sure know how to charge!

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 August 15 02:18 BST (UK) »
There is a will free to download for Michael CROWLEY who died in 1912 at http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54.   

regards
   Ros

adding : and one for Norah too