Author Topic: Search for Agnes Jones, George McNaught & son Robert, Carnarvon 1851-1861  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Search for Agnes Jones, George McNaught & son Robert, Carnarvon 1851-1861
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 August 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
In reply #4 David commented that "David of Caban Coch buried on 5th Sept 1896 in Llanllechid."  I have searched for Caban Coch in Caernarvonshire, without success. However, I did find it in the parish of Rhayader, in the county of Radnor.  Would this be correct or should I keep searching for Caban Coch in Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire?  I noted that the blasting for the construction of the dam at Caban Coch in the Elan Valley commenced in 1894 when David was 45 years old.  As he was a painter, I wonder if he was living & working (as a painter) at Caban Coch (Radnor) up until his death & was buried at home in the parish of Llanllechid?  Is this reasonable?
Cheers
Hendo 
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
There is a report on his death on this link - http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3683931/3683942/67/

The first part (Google Translate) is roughly "AESYGROES, LLANLLECHID. Death MR DAVID MACNAUGHT. - Wednesday morning, the fifth Instant, died Mr David MacNaught, Caban-coch, after suffering, affliction silent uncomplaining for a few months. Painter by trade, was on the Penrhyn estate."

I can't see a Caban-coch in the vicinity. On the Penrhyn Estate?

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have found one nearby - on Google Street View at LL57 3YE

Name attached.

David

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 August 15 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for all this wonderful information.  Glad you translated the Gaelic as I wouldn't have known what I was looking at.  I wonder if the 'affliction silent' was cancer or possibly TB (like his father George).  Although, one wouldn't call an airways disease 'quiet'.  The reference to Penrhyn estate was a great clue.  Thanks also for confirming that he died in Caernarvonshire & not Radnorshire.  I assumed that as his mother Agnes (Jones) McNaught remarried at Llansanfraid Cwmteuddwr, Radnorshire that David may very well have died there also.  You have solved a great puzzle.  Thanks again for your help.
Best regards
Rob
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw