Author Topic: Ascoughs 1848 - 1872 Bradford and Burnley : Tasmanian Visit  (Read 3927 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ascoughs 1848 - 1872 Bradford and Burnley : Tasmanian Visit
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for explaining.

I have not found any trace of a Richard Wardley in Tasmania in that era.  Sorry.

Have you tried all the online resources available at RChat's Tasmania Resources Board?  Here's the link to that board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369953.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tarella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ascoughs 1848 - 1872 Bradford and Burnley : Tasmanian Visit
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 15 02:27 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any knowledge of settlers near Hobart, Tasmania in 1850s with links to Ascoughs in Bradford and / or Burnley? or any knowledge of the families?

George and Hannah Ascough married 1790, had 5 children. The family of the eldest William 1791 - 1870 eventually lived in Charles St. Burnley and the family of the younger Leonard 1807 - 1857 lived in Moody St. Bradford.

The Burnley mob were obviously much healthier and produced 9 living children and living in a two up two down terrace with lodgers, all working in the cotton mill except for the children at school - which blows my mind. They obviously have some money as all the family is working except for the mother who runs the house and the money - I guess.

The Bradford mob, probably poorer and definitely not as healthy, loose two girls in 1841 the father in 1857 and son in 1858. : the mother Eleanor (nee Harrison) and daughter Ellen remain in Moody St until Ellen finishes school at the age of 14. On 11 Aug 1863 they sail to Launceston in the barque Dunorlan as the only passengers, which is unusual, they stay in Tasmania for a year - supposedly with an aunt (or possibly a close family friend) - the aunt is yet to be identified but may be Catherine Wardley (Ascough) born 1810. No current trace found in Tasmania. Mother and daughter are very unlikely to have been able to pay for the passage themselves as they were a laboring and mill working family.

On 17 January 1865 mother and daughter sail back to England on the barque Windward from Hobart. Obviously paid for by the family they stayed or worked for near Hobart. This family has not been identified. When they get back to Bradford they return to Moody St and Ellen works as a worsted weaver until she turns 23 and married her cousin William on 1st January 1872.

The Burnley mob however sent Willam (born the same year as Ellen 1848) to school until he was 14; then instead of working in the cotton mill like the rest of the family he becomes a student teacher for a church school until he gets a scholarship to Durham Teachers Training College in 1868-69 for two years.  In all probability, due to ages, the relationship with his cousin and eventual wife, Ellen doesn't start till after she has returned from Tasmania - ?letters?.

William takes up "masters" position at Mosborough Endowed School, Eckington in 1870 - date to be confirmed.

In January 1872 he marries his cousin in an enlarged house at Mosborough Endowed School, Eckington, Derbyshire.

In 1909 he is elected mayor of Scarborough.