Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"  (Read 48956 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"
« Reply #252 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
Being a newbie to this post & not having read the other 27 pages what we're looking at is the rear of a "T" shaped building with a separate building beyond (as it has a different style chimney) running at right angles to the main building (if it sits on a pitched roof that is) & at the other end another (looks like newer) 2 storey building with a large greenhouse in between.
2 observations, 1, there are park style benches which indicates (to me anyway) not a private residence. 2, all of the upstairs windows are open. May be just coincidence but looks like a convalescence home for TB sufferers.
I do know that during WW1 many gas casualties were sent to the Channel Isles to recuperate.
Just a thought.

Someone mentioned the pipe running through the tower roof. Stench pipe from the loos.
    Its good to have a fresh opinion and perspective.  It must have been a very wealthy family that lived in such a place, they probably owned many acres of land around the property.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Thursday 20 October 16 17:23 BST (UK) »
You also need to read the 50 pages of the first thread on this house  :-X
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717629.0
Gulp!
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Thursday 20 October 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
Dark nights are coming Jim! If you have a spare hour (or two) it does make interesting reading.
So many suggestions have been made, but we are obviously missing something. Of course it could have been destroyed, which would be such a shame, but it could have been damaged in the war.
Today, my thoughts have turned to looking at officers messes on wartime airfields, but I agree with the suggestions of convalescence homes, cottage hospitals etc., rather than a private house. So many houses were acquired for these purposes during WW1 and WW2.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Friday 21 October 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
What amazes me most is the perseverance of some people.  Well done to you all.  I love reading the suggestions etc.  Obviously some very intelligent and creative people out there!

Thanks for continuing with the WAIs.  I have more to post, but I'm in the middle other projects at the moment.

I do believe there are a couple of others that haven't been solved.  I'll bring them back to the top to drive you all crazy until I can sort out some new ones!  ;D ;D

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Tower could be called a Belvedere Tower if someone wants to add it to search terms.

Or maybe not  ???
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Friday 21 October 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
Being a newbie to this post & not having read the other 27 pages what we're looking at is the rear of a "T" shaped building with a separate building beyond (as it has a different style chimney) running at right angles to the main building (if it sits on a pitched roof that is) & at the other end another (looks like newer) 2 storey building with a large greenhouse in between.
2 observations, 1, there are park style benches which indicates (to me anyway) not a private residence. 2, all of the upstairs windows are open. May be just coincidence but looks like a convalescence home for TB sufferers.
I do know that during WW1 many gas casualties were sent to the Channel Isles to recuperate.
Just a thought.

Someone mentioned the pipe running through the tower roof. Stench pipe from the loos.
    I think that the first part of your evaluation is correct that the building had a substantial "footprint"   but I believe that the building had been re-modelled before the commencement of the first world war.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Friday 21 October 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
I thought maybe some rebuilding had happened but only the right extension seems to be an added feature including the tower.
I wonder if it was built as an artist's studio.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Friday 21 October 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
At some point I believe we started searching in a particular county for No 12 due to the possible connection with other photos in  the same batch? Anyone remember where - maybe Bucks? Beds? Berks? Can't find it in previous thread and I could be thinking of another WAI anyway :-\ ;D
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Friday 21 October 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Being a newbie to this post & not having read the other 27 pages

You also need to read the 50 pages of the first thread on this house  :-X
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717629.0

50 pages of pure quality research, as I remember.