Author Topic: What is this place name please? COMPLETED Thanks  (Read 2730 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is this place name please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
I've just found the transcripts on Freereg, Sarah's husband was from Whaddon, the walking route between Whaddon and Gt and Lt Chishill is fairly direct along roads which may have been there for many hundreds of years. The B1368 is certainly quite old. There were maps on the Barley village website from 17th and 18th century showing roads but they seem to have disappeared recently.
The walking routes from Whaddon and Chrishall would converge in Harston at the junction of A10 and B1368. The A10 would have been a busy route into Cambridge for hundreds of years and there are still houses which would have been there in the 1600s.

Do you know anything more about the couple, where their children wer born or where they lived after marriage? But it certainly looks as if the Chishills or Chrishall are likely places.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information about Lt & Great Chishill & Chrishall Lizzie. Sounds as if you know the area well. As far as I'm aware the couple lived in or near Whaddon - I believe he was a farmer.

There are quite a few parish records missing from the early 1700's for Whaddon due to a not so efficient parish clerk so limited information available for the family unfortunately.

Appreciate your help

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information about Lt & Great Chishill & Chrishall Lizzie. Sounds as if you know the area well.

I can see Great Chishill church and the windmill through my window as I type this.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is this place name please? COMPLETED Thanks
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 August 15 09:53 BST (UK) »

I can see Great Chishill church and the windmill through my window as I type this.

Ohh Lizzie I'm green with envy - one day I'll visit the area ... one day..   :D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk