Author Topic: Gibsons, tailors in London  (Read 3285 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibsons, tailors in London
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 August 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, that one you've posted is a transcript. FindMyPast has the original image
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 August 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,   I'm just reading through this slowly, not finished yet, and have now got to go out  >:(

You've certainly looked into this thoroughly.

I just wanted to add that the witness, Elizabeth Gibson, at Mary Ann Gibson's 1819 marriage, is signed by the same hand as the Elizabeth Gibson who witnessed Stuart's 1818 marriage.

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,   I'm just reading through this slowly, not finished yet, and have now got to go out  >:(

You've certainly looked into this thoroughly.

I just wanted to add that the witness, Elizabeth Gibson, at Mary Ann Gibson's 1819 marriage, is signed by the same hand as the Elizabeth Gibson who witnessed Stuart's 1818 marriage.

Looking forward to your comments when you get a chance to read through it all!

This Elizabeth is also supposed (by me) to be a sister of Stuart.
I am not sure if it is the same person, but there is a marriage of an Elizabeth Gibson to William Andrew, in 1814, St Martin in the Fields. The witness is Margaret Gibson, who could be Stuart's (and her) mother, Margaret Keith.

In short, I think the family consisted of 6 children:

parents: David Gibson & Margaret Keith
documented children: David (1789), Helen (1791) and Stuart (1795) --> all born in Scotland
undocumented children: Elizabeth, Mary Ann and Charlotte Elizabeth --> born in London?

If the Elizabeth who married in 1814 is indeed Stuart's sister, she must have been older than him, born in or before 1793. That fits neatly with the "gap" between Helen and Stuart.
On the other hand, there are at least 3 or 4 other Elizabeths who would be a better match than her (all born around 1785-1790 in St Martin in the Fields) so that is probably a dead end...

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,  Your head must be reeling with all those Gibsons, Hendersons, Carlyles and Donaldsons.  I know mine is  :D

Well of course, after you've gone into this family so well, I've not come up with anything new.  Just one extra child, that you may already know about.  Martha Gibson who married Samuel Wills in 1809.  Her witnesses were David Gibson, Margaret Gibson and Elizabeth Gibson (same one by the look of it). I see that Samuel Wills was one of the witnesses at Stuart Gibson's 1st marriage.

Unfortunately, Martha died before the 1841 census, so no clues there.

I'm inclined to agree with you, that the Gibsons - Mary Ann, Stuart, Elizabeth and Martha, all appear to be siblings.   But I'm afraid I can't find that missing link that could prove it.

Good luck

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,  Your head must be reeling with all those Gibsons, Hendersons, Carlyles and Donaldsons.  I know mine is  :D

Well of course, after you've gone into this family so well, I've not come up with anything new.  Just one extra child, that you may already know about.  Martha Gibson who married Samuel Wills in 1809.  Her witnesses were David Gibson, Margaret Gibson and Elizabeth Gibson (same one by the look of it). I see that Samuel Wills was one of the witnesses at Stuart Gibson's 1st marriage.

Unfortunately, Martha died before the 1841 census, so no clues there.

I'm inclined to agree with you, that the Gibsons - Mary Ann, Stuart, Elizabeth and Martha, all appear to be siblings.   But I'm afraid I can't find that missing link that could prove it.

Good luck

Martha is new to me, thanks for that!
I've briefly looked for her, but can only find one mention of that marriage without witnesses on ancestry, and nothing on findmypast. But I'll keep on looking.
One of the witnesses for Stuart's second marriage was a Charlotte Wills, undoubtedly related. Maybe Martha's daughter?

I'll keep you updated when I find anything else...
Regards,
Tom

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 August 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
I found the copy of the marriage on Find My Past     St James Piccadilly - 1809

Martha had a daughter Charlotte, born 1820.  They were certainly a close family.

ADDED   Yes, please let me know of any updates