Author Topic: Anyone gone onto the 'new' Ancestry.com?  (Read 26660 times)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone gone onto the 'new' Ancestry.com?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
I know where the places are for people in my tree and it seems more trouble than it's worth to go through changing things for everyone in my family tree so that Ancestry doesn't bring in errors. Another example is that the Lifestory now says that Clement Cafferata lived in Vancouver in October 1918, which he didn't - and nowhere in my family tree does it mention where he was living in 1918. Ancestry has made the assumption that, because he was living there in 1915, he was still there in 1918.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
At first glance I thought it looked quite interesting, but I am now finding all sorts of errors that weren't there before that I now have to correct  >:(

As KG pointed out it seems to default to USA, so my 2x great grandfather who lived in Penn, Wolverhampton, England now lived in Pennsylvania, and his son who died in Flanders in WW1 is now shown as dying in Flanders, New York.  How many more errors will I have to put right because of Ancestry's so called improvements, I will have to trawl through every entry on my tree and add the country if it wasn't added originally.  How annoying!!!!
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
I haven't got a tree on Ancestry so I don't have the problem some of you are noticing.  Also because I did a specific search for England and Wales Death Indexes, it didn't default to USA.  I thought it always defaulted to USA unless you specified somewhere else.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
I make a point of ALWAYS adding the country name to any location I enter on Ancestry!

I've had far too many Somerset and Suffolk people being allocated to USA in the past!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 August 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
I usually include the country, but I have obviously missed a few  ::)  I have one ancestor born in Handsworth (the one near Birmingham) but the map has put the birth somewhere near Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire.   >:(

So far I have only checked one set of parents and their children and I am already knee deep in corrections, many which Ancestry's new system doesn't want to understand  >:(  I have gone back to old Ancestry for now and left some feedback.  It was just frustrating me having to correct what was perfectly ok before.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 August 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
I too have fallen foul of the changed place name, apparently  Conside & Knitsley, Co.Durham translates as Andorra in "improved" Ancestry. Feedback has been left. >:(
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 August 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
My addresses have gone global!! spoke to ancestry, told to be patient while they sort it, but they don't know how long it will take. I've over 900 profiles to alter if they don't sort it, suggest that if you haven't clicked through to the new then DON'T. Carolmc

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 August 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
If you change back to the "Old Style" then you get the opportunity to leave feedback as to why you prefer the old version.

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 August 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
I probably won't always like the life story addition but it does give a 'whole' picture, including births / deaths of siblings / parents, which drew things to my attention that I hadn't realised before :(

I have one strange entry though... the death of a 79 year old in 1976 is followed by the birth of his brother in 1914 (I can't find out why, it clearly says 1914 in both the old and new format on the brother's profile :-\ )
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....