Author Topic: A.I.F Help - 631 Thomas Guy BELL - Which Battalion/Unit of Service??  (Read 1975 times)

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A.I.F Help - 631 Thomas Guy BELL - Which Battalion/Unit of Service??
« on: Thursday 06 August 15 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently writing a book about all the WW1 service people from/associated with the town of Stockton, NSW, Australia.

I have a problem (a good one!!) that requires more knowledge on reading service records and knowing about military matters than I do.

Thomas' Embarkation Roll lists his unit as 1st Field Artillery Brigade - Brigade Ammunition Coloumn embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board Transport A8 Argyllshire on 18 October 1914.

In the AMF Unit Serving in at Date of Enlistment - it says 16th Battalion.

Now, attestation papers dated Aug 1914 (with unit listed ad 1st Bde Ammun Col) say in:

Question 11 - Previous military service - "16th Battalion - 1 year - Pte".
Question 13 - Previously reject military service - Yes, for Infantry week beginning 19 Aug 1914

I was just sent a photo of Thomas. It appears to have been taken in 1918, probably in Australia (he is wearing a 1914 Rosette on each sleeve). The photo shows what appears to be a battalion patch for the 16th Battalion with an "A" Anzac badge on it.

Now my questions:

1. What would explain the 1yr service in 16th Battalion in 1914?? Is this just incorrect?
2. Could the rejected enlistment be from the 16th? But how?
3. Why would he have 16th Batt patch on at the end of the war when there is no mention of it in he service record? (presuming I'm reading it correctly).
4. His service record says he joined the M.E.F on 4 Apr 1915. Then next note of service isn't until Feb 1916. That's a big gap with nothing happening. On another page in his record it says - "Embarked for Gal Pen on Themistocles Alexandria" 14 Nov 1915 but this is struck through in red with a note "Cancelled" next to it. So, did he get to Gallipoli? What unit was he with at the time?
5. Is the "A" for his service or just denoting 16th Battalion's Gallipoli service.

His record is here - http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/3009080/1

I know that is alot of questions, but I have tried my best to work it out. I just don't have the knowledge, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I have as relates to his military service:

"He enlisted into the 1st Australian Field Artillery Brigade Ammunition Column on 26 August 1914. He had previously attempted to enlist in the Infantry but was rejected. He embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board Transport A8 Argyllshire on 18 October 1914 headed for Egypt, where he served as a driver. In February 1916 he was transferred to the 4th Divisional Artillery at Tel-el-Kelbir. From there he was transferred to Alexandria for transport to Marseilles. He was on active service in France from May 1916 until Sep 1917 with the 1st Divisional Ammunition Column when he took leave in England. He returned to France where he continued to serve throughout 1918 until the end of the war. He returned to Australia under 1914 Furlough in December 1918 aboard the Durham."

Cheers,
Michelle
Stockton, NSW, Au - WW1 Service Personnel - http://ww1stockton.blogspot.com.au/

WATSON - Uddingston, Scotland -> Bendigo, Australia
CANET - France -> London -> Victoria, Au
SAPSFORD - Great Hallingbury and Edmonton, England
FREEMAN - Derry and Cork -> Glamorgan, Wales -> NSW, Au
BLANDTHORN - Chester -> Sandhurst/Bendigo, Vic, Au
HARPER & BRAY - Cornwall -> NZ -> Sandhurst/Bendigo, Vic, Au
RANN - Edmonton -> Vic, Au
WHITLEY - Waltham Abbey -> Edmonton -> Vic, Au
ABERNEATHY - Ireland/Scotland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: A.I.F Help - 631 Thomas Guy BELL - Which Battalion/Unit of Service??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:10 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/134321863  Newcastle Morning Herald  17 March 1948

For accurate interpretation of his AIF records, have you considered contacting the Australian War Memorial in Canberra?  http://awm.altarama.com/reft120.aspx?pmi=UmK7hBsyj8 

And they will help with his Unit's Diary too ...

https://www.awm.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:25 BST (UK) »
At page 5 of 15 of his NAA records

26 Feb 1916 He transferred to the 4th Section of the Divisional Ammunition Company, Tel el Kebir.  As per the remarks column citing (Army) form B213 of 21 Feb 1916.

That entry supports the information above the TOP headings on the form.  (Blue lead pencil writing, crossing out 1st FA Bde Ammt Coy (Ammunition Company)) …. The Blue writing reads 1st Division Ammunition Company, No. 4 Section.

Likely he was an exceptionally good horseman,  driving ammunition to the front throughout the War would have been a constantly dangerous occupation. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:26 BST (UK) »
JM,

Thanks for that. I have the stuff off Trove.

And I was hoping someone here might be able to help me before I contact the AWM. They are great, but they are getting more than the normal number of questions at the moment due to the 100th.

Cheers,
Michelle

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:28 BST (UK) »
At page 5 of 15 of his NAA records

26 Feb 1916 He transferred to the 4th Section of the Divisional Ammunition Company, Tel el Kebir.  As per the remarks column citing (Army) form B213 of 21 Feb 1916.

That entry supports the information above the TOP headings on the form.  (Blue lead pencil writing, crossing out 1st FA Bde Ammt Coy (Ammunition Company)) …. The Blue writing reads 1st Division Ammunition Company, No. 4 Section.

Likely he was an exceptionally good horseman,  driving ammunition to the front throughout the War would have been a constantly dangerous occupation. 

Cheers,  JM

Well, good to know I got that bit right!! Still confused about the 16th Battalion (which he shouldn't be in anyway, since it was mainly WA/SA).

Cheers,
Michelle

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:32 BST (UK) »
 :)  Perhaps this will help then
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-asstd/abbreviations.htm

I find it is important to check if the pages are in chronological order, as sometimes they are a tad 'out', but this set seem to be fine.  The remarks column is often the first place I check, so, I tend to consider these records as being read from 'right' hand column first and then from left to right.  I also look for the colour of the pencils crossing out earlier entries and seek the matching entry in that colour pencil. 

I think Pte Bell has basically spent years and years taking live ammunition to the front.   To me, that is bravery on a daily basis.  Friendly fire can cause damage, and ammunition can become unstable.

Cheers,  JM   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 15 05:44 BST (UK) »

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1000202/
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1000055/   There’s a possible  ‘time gap’ between April 1915 and March 1916 in the ordinance diaries too ….

Cheers,  JM

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
Soldiers  could get temporary transfers or temporarily get separated from their units for a variety of reasons.         
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich