Author Topic: Help on getting further back on William Dobson please  (Read 1602 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help on getting further back on William Dobson please
« on: Thursday 06 August 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all, i hoping to get a bit of help on getting further back on my 4th gt gandfather please,

William Dobson b 1803c. in York, to John Dobson b 1777C. York, they appear on the 1851 census, in High Hungate York,with William children, both are widowed. now i know William wife is Ann Bland, and i believe to be her death in 1849 (awaiting cert). but i cannot get further back with them both.

i think i may have found Ann on the 1840 census, but im unsure as William isnt with her, and only 4 of her children Sarah, Ann Eliza and William.

any help would be greatly appreciated many thanks
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help on getting further back on William Dobson please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Weenie,
Just to add to your notes: There was a marriage between William Dobson and Mary Alderson in York on 1 May 1853. William was aged 50, widowed, born 1803 and his father was John Dobson.   
Mary Alderston nee Rutlidge, age 45, also widowed, born 1808, father was Thomas Rutlidge.
Hope this might help you to move on.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help on getting further back on William Dobson please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rae,
Yes i found that marriage also, and tried looking on the following census and if my person then he changed his profession, im a bit unsure as he is a painter ?,

the cert for Ann Dobson death has arrived, and i thought at first it was wrong as it lists her husband as Thomas Dobson railway porter, not William, but has someone called James Smith as informant the address is the same as the 51 census, as Hungate York, and i have not found another Ann Dobson in the 51 census, niether a Ann to a Thomas, so im thinking he may have got the name wrong, wouldnt be the first in my line of Dobsons.

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool