Author Topic: Hogg/Bryson  (Read 15629 times)

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 August 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
1822/1826 William was a farmer after he came to America. I don't know what he did in Scotland.

Hi Chris ,

The reason we are asking about William Hogg born circa 1822/1826 is to try and find him in Scotland before he travels across the Atlantic then there is a good chance we could link him to his parents and work backwards from there  :)

I have found a William and Catharine Hogg at Leith on the 1841 re- reply 8. But we have no way yet of knowing if these are young William's parents. Equally investigating William's sisters and finding them can give clues and lead the way backwards.

Do you know what your William's occupation was? That could help us in the search.
Do you know the full names of all his offspring?  Again names including middle names can give us clues to family origins.

Looby :)

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 August 15 00:57 BST (UK) »
The Birth record I have for Catherine Bryson Hogg shows she was born in Monteith Perthshire Scotland in 1784.

There is a couple on the 1841 Census at Spenses Place, Leith South

William Hogg   age 50   Joiner Journeyman     born outside Census County
Catharine Hogg  age 45                                 born outside Census County

according to this Census these people were not Midlothian born.

I wonder if the Hoggs were form further south........... I think Selkirk or Dumfries was a settlement area although my Hogg 3 x g g/father c1811 & his 2 sons were born Fetteresso, Kincardine although I believe his family probably moved there  ??? I haven't got his death cert. either, he died in England pre 1851 so no point there as it won't reveal his father even. Married 1834 so again no parentage to follow  ::)

Annie

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson Help please.
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 August 15 07:26 BST (UK) »
The only marriage information I have for any of the children belonging to William Hogg and Catherine Bryson is for William. He married Margaret Minto Thomson in Perth Ontario Canada in 1858.
  The next time they appear is on a U.S. Census from 1860. They are farming in Iowa.
  I have been stuck for years trying to locate birth/death dates for the William Hogg who was married to Catherine Bryson. It's as if the family didn't exist before him. It's very frustrating.

Who were any of the children married to, where & when  ???

Annie

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
The Birth record I have for Catherine Bryson Hogg shows she was born in Monteith Perthshire Scotland in 1784.

I've seen a couple of trees on Ancestry saying Catherine Bryson was born in Monteith/Menteith, Perthshire - have you seen the actual register entry? The only Catherine Bryson I can find on Scotland's People with father Peter around that time was born on 24 Jan 1784 to Peter Bryson of Elphinstone, East Lothian and his wife Jean Notman - the child was baptised on 22 Feb in Tranent, witnesses Archibald Notman and David Crock (maybe Croch).

Having just done a general search on SP for Bryson children around that time, I see Peter Bryson and Jean Notman had six other children baptised in Tranent between 1766 and 1800...  ;D

Still no luck finding the elusive William Hogg though...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:11 BST (UK) »

Hi Chris,
That year of birth for Catherine Bryson would have made her approx. 31 years old when she married in 1815 and over 40 when she gave birth to Jean Hogg in 1825 - obviously not impossible, but Catherine seems quite old for the times for a first time marriage :/
Have you actually looked at the original Parish record of the marriage between William Hogg and Catherine Bryson at East Cannongate Edinburgh on Scotlands People website? As Forfarian has already posted, it's best to check out original documents if you can. The OPR (Old Parish Record) will perhaps add nothing new to your search and just have two names and a date of marriage but sometimes there can be an extra nugget of information such as the bride or groom's home parish or groom's occupation . If you haven't looked at that I would recommend that you do.
Also the original OPR's for the birth's of the 4 Hogg children - again they may add nothing new, but occasionally they can give a place name or something which can be another clue on the search.

Looby  :)

Added - Snap Ruthhelen ;D

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Decided it was time to have a look at William Hogg and Catherine Bryson's wedding record - and it's surprisingly illuminating (being used to the one-line parish records of rural Aberdeenshire as I am...  ;D):

'William Hogg, wright, Blair(?) St, Edin, and Catharine Bryson, No. 20 St John Street, Canongate, daughter of the late Peter Bryson, labourer, parish of Tranent, gave up their names for marriage.'

So our man Hogg was a wright - and we do appear to have the correct Catherine Bryson - although Looby's right - she does appear somewhat old for the time for her first marriage...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
From a look at Familysearch, which I should have checked our earlier  ::)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYW7-1ZZ

This shows a marriage date of 1st November 1815 between William Hogg and Catherine Bryson and the bride's father is named as Peter Bryson. So perhaps on the right track with the Catherine Bryson christened in Tranent.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Well done Ruthhelen.
Our posts keep clashing  ;D ;D

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Our posts keep clashing  ;D ;D

Tee hee - I do love a good bit of detective work - reached too many dead ends with my own tree at the moment... it's nice to actually be able to find something  ;D

R