Author Topic: Mission, BC, Hatzic Cemetery  (Read 10219 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Mission, BC, Hatzic Cemetery
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Wonder if the Assiniboia & District Public Library could help with an obituary for Maggie ?  This site has a couple of e-mail addresses.

http://www.assiniboia.net/residents/assiniboia_district_public_library.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 05:18 BST (UK) »
If Clifford lived in Macdonald with wife Lillian, that is why Silas was there 1935. Never noticed Clifford and Mrs Clifford Fear were listed next but one to Silas on that voters list.  Clifford also arrived 1913.
Wonder if we followed Clifford, would it mention Maggie in any obits ?  Maybe not but worth a shot  ???

Sandra

Working on finding Clifford.  So far, found an obit for his son Leonard... it has a bit of information about Clifford's whereabouts. 

Winnipeg Free Press, Sept 20 1997.  Leonard Lloyd Norman Fear died on Sept 16, 1997.  Had lived in Culross, Manitoba.  Born Dec 31 1916, in Assiniboia, Sask - son of Clifford and Lillian Fear.   As a boy, he went to school in England for 2 years.  Returned to Canada and lived on his parents' farm near Waskada Manitoba until 1929, when they moved to a farm near Culross.  Leonard was a farmer all his life.  Predeceased by his parents, 2 sisters and one brother.  Survived by his wife and 2 sons.  Interred in Garry Memorial Park Cemetery, Winnipeg.

Found Clifford's obit too.  Winnipeg Free Press June 19, 1970.  No mention of Silas or Margaret :'(
Clifford Lewis Fear died on June 17 1970 at the Brandon General Hospital.  He was 81.  Husband of the late Lillian G Fear of 815-19th St. Brandon Manitoba.  Interment in the "family plot", Garry Memorial Park Cemetery, Winnipeg.

Might want to check out the family plot??

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 05:28 BST (UK) »
There is also an Alfred Clifford Fear (goes by Cliff) who lived in the Winnipeg Area.  He was born in 1917 and died in 1996.  Doesn't appear to be related, but the name and location are similar.  Could lead us astray if we follow the wrong fellow!!  (As I keep reminding myself as I look through the newspapers... make sure I am not reading about the younger man!!)

RK

Offline AHurle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this, I have emailed a couple of people from the links and hopefully they will be able to tell me a bit more.

Clifford Fear middle name was Lewis, son of Elisha and Elizabeth. The Fear family is quite big Silas had lots of cousins but it was only him and Clifford that moved over from what I can tell.

I guess once Silas died Maggie probably didn't see Clifford or his family since they were in a different area. I see that Clifford went back to England before coming back to Canada via New York.

Alison
Hurle
Parker
Clarke
Vranch

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Great finds RK - Our star super-sleuth strikes again  ;D

Alison - Have you checked whether there was an obit for Silas ?

Best Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hee Hee - love the picture.  Must admit that I "helped myself" to a copy - she is on my desktop now...for inspiration!!

Looked everywhere for an obit for Silas, but I don't see anything in the papers that I can access.  If one can be found in the BC papers, it might be very helpful :)

RK

Offline AHurle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 August 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Just an update - I did a photo request on findagrave for the Margaret D Fear one that you guys found and got this reply

"We are writing to let you know that a Find A Grave volunteer has reported a problem with your photo request for Margaret Fear.

The general problem they reported is:
I searched the stated plot or section and could not find the grave

They also reported, specifically:
The cemetery records state that Margaret Fear is buried in Plot 7, Block 157, Plan NC but there is no headstone at that location. So, it appears to be an unmarked grave."

I have emailed the cemetery just waiting for more info and I'm pretty sure that this could be her. The details are almost identical to be someone else! Fingers crossed.  :)
Hurle
Parker
Clarke
Vranch

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 August 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Dbreez is very knowledgeable about Canada and came up with a plausible possibility that mental patients weren't allowed to vote in Canada till 1980's. So if Mary remained a patient, she wouldn't appear on the voters lists.
Perhaps with little or few relatives around her, Mary had no money in her estate to pay for a headstone   :'( :'(

Sandra

Offline AHurle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 August 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
I see she probably stayed there then if she's not even listed after the 1980s.

When she died my grandfather and his three siblings received money from Margaret, so there must have been something maybe it came from when Silas died. I don't know about Canada but in England it is hard to access wills and probate when they are after the 1950s.

Alison
Hurle
Parker
Clarke
Vranch