Author Topic: Manifold Wick Farm,Tolleshunt Knights Essex  (Read 6336 times)

Offline essexalan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manifold Wick Farm,Tolleshunt Knights Essex
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes am sure he was.There is a web site called Friends Reunited and if you g on it and type in Thurstable School.There are people on there who were at that School,including me.Anyway we seem to have drifted away from Manifold Wick Farm.Don't know if you do Facebook,I am on it as Alan Charles Theobald.So if you would like to keep in touch that would be great.
Tibbald ,Theobald,Sheppard,Gale,Mumford,Game.

Offline BLACKMOLLY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

It is a very long time since we met but  my husbands mother  had spent some years with your  parents Harry and Mable during the war, at Pollyfields. Some years after the war, when David and I married we came down to see your parents with  Mary and Sid and our two children. I remember you and June but I think Ena was older.  We have a few old black and white pics which we took then. David says he also had a picture of your grandad tucked away somewhere.  Jan & David Smith

Offline Dawn Higgins-Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I remember Sid and Mary Smith also you and John. I was still at school then. I Joyce is living in Kelvedon Essex. Ena and myself are in Bristol. Unfortunately June Passed away. Great to hear from you.

Offline essexalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Dawn,Just to let you know that My cousin David from Tollesbury who you were at School with,Past away a couple of months ago,
By the way I have not been able to trace anymore info about Land Army girls working at Manifold Wick Farm.

Offline Lurchensfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 October 21 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello. I've just found your post. I'm down on the Suffolk/Essex border, researching some of my family roots.
I hope this information in some way helps.
My grandfather, John Page Thornton, owned Manifold Wick farm. At the onset of WW2, the War Agricultural Committee, commondeered the farm, on the pretext that my grandfather wouldn't be able to manage 2 farms and an editorial business in London.
It's running was handed to the Bath family from Kent.
My father also informs me that a Maurice Bath turned the farm into a golf course.
Regards, Howard Thornton.

Offline essexalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Howard,Your post has only just popped up in my feed.
Yes there is a golf course further down the lane from the farm house.but the entrance is from another road.I hadn't realised that the cottages were across the field behind the farm and missed them when I went to see the farm a couple of years ago. Someone sent me a photo of them.The cottages are still there but have had major renovation done to them as I believe they were sold separately from the farm house.
Regards Alan.