Author Topic: sudden death  (Read 2412 times)

Offline hankcinq

• RootsChat Extra
  • free to think
    • View Profile
sudden death
« on: Monday 11 July 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Anne Williams aged 42 died suddenly in a Carmarthenshire Hotel (King's Arms) on 22nd February 1913.  She was meeting local farmers because she was a wholesaler who took produce to Neath market

I'm told it was in the local paper at the time. Can anyone help me find more details

Dave Williams
williams (llanlechid)  roberts (flint mountain)  devereux (resolven)  passmore ( south wales )

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: sudden death
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Do you know which local paper?   If not this link may help you to find which papers are local to the area:

http://www.mediauk.com/newspapers/41976

Most central libraries keep copies of all the local papers and as you know the date of death it should not take long to find the relevant article;  some libraries will carry out a search for you and email the results.

Good luck.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hankcinq

• RootsChat Extra
  • free to think
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 05 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I assume it was in the main local paper of the day.

I was hoping that somebody could take a look for me as the dates are very clear.  I once went to carmarthen a few years ago but the place where the newspapers were kept was closed for the day.

Dave Williams
williams (llanlechid)  roberts (flint mountain)  devereux (resolven)  passmore ( south wales )

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 05 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

In that case I suggest you ask a Moderator to move your post to the Carmarthen board where you will probably have more success.

Good luck.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,

I am new to Rootschat and have just seen your query about Elizabeth Anne Williams who died suddenly in Carmarthenshire.

I see that you asked the question last September, so you might have sorted it all out by now, but if not then maybe I can do a look-up for you.

Swansea library should have the papers of the time, but unfortunately it is closed at the moment for essential repairs. It shouldn't be too long now before it reopens.

When you say Carmarthenshire, do you know which town or village the "King's Arms" was in, or was it actually Carmarthen? If you do know then that should help with my search for you.

If you would like me to try to find details let me know any other information that might be relevant, and I'll go from there.

Best Wishes,

Bev.

PS- I tried to send you this reply as a personal message, but it just came back to me; I don't know why, so I am posting it again here.

Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline hankcinq

• RootsChat Extra
  • free to think
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 10:54 BST (UK) »
Bev I have sent you more details via the system  . . . which I hope works.  I think the system does not give us direct access to email addresses. 

Dave Williams

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 August 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I've taken note of the extra details and will be in touch as soon as the library re-opens.

I have sent you another personal message which includes my e-mail address--I hope it works this time; can't understand why it didn't last time. I haven't had problems with it before; maybe just a blip in the system.

Best wishes,

Bev.

Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 06 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello both

Just doing some housekeeping - was this request completed?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 December 06 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

I was able to find a small piece about this death in the local paper and sent it to Hankcinq, but I don't know whether he is still searching for more info. I see he has not been online since August 19th.

Happy New Year!

Bev.   :)

Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.