Author Topic: wilfred chatwin  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wilfred chatwin
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 July 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just posting links to Wilfred's birth and Martha's marriage:

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD33-1-76p201j2k

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-58p361j2k

The date of their marriage was sometime prior to May 1914, not 1915 as in the records, because they celebrated their 50th Wedding anniversary prior to pop's sudden death on 22 May, 1964 (I have the old photo slides of them cutting their cake.  Pop was quite ill at the time). I figure nan, dad and my aunts and uncles would know when she was married - so I'm disputing the 1915 date - that may have been when the marriage was finally registered but it certainly wasn't when the event occurred.

Peter sourced the information from the church records, not the civil registration.

The marriage of Wilfred William John Chatwin and Linda May Amos is recorded in the Scottsdale Methodist Church register (even though the marriage took place at Derby) and the TAHO reference for the register is NS499/1/1475.

My parents also claimed that they were married a year previous to the actual date until they were eventually outed    ;D

Debra  :)

Offline Jan Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 July 18 03:55 BST (UK) »
I can't explain the discrepancy in the marriage date - but my great aunt and uncles - that's nan's brothers and sister, when they were alive all said 1914, and they were present at the event.  It was all handwritten in those days, so perhaps someone couldn't read the handwriting.

My father's birthdate was 28/10/1924, which all his siblings verified when alive  (he was the youngest),  but his legal DOB is 30/10/1924, because of the time it took to register his birth in the nearest major population centre. This kind of discrepancy seems a common occurrence in Tasmania in the early days because of isolation, lack of access to transport and communication.

I have copies of the legal documents in my family tree despite the fact that they don't agree with what the family says.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 July 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
My father's birthdate was 28/10/1924, which all his siblings verified when alive  (he was the youngest),  but his legal DOB is 30/10/1924, because of the time it took to register his birth in the nearest major population centre.

His legal date of birth is the day he was born on regardless of when the birth was registered.  Birth certificates always have both a date of birth and a date of registration recorded.  The Births and Deaths Act only required that all births had to registered within 60 days.

Debra  :)