Author Topic: Blundell John 1816  (Read 12952 times)

Offline Mary vallance

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blundell John 1816
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Blundell of ince blundell my great great great great grandfather was John Blundell born 1816 married to Margery massam born 1816 they were married in 1839 John's father is listed as William Blundell shoemaker  I have been trying for years to find John's birth records but don't know his mother's name I have come across a baptism record for a John born in 1816 farther William mother betty he was born in maghull how can I verify if it's the right John I would be very grateful if anybody can help me thanks Mary vallance

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blundell John 1816
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.....

I find the grammar of this post appalling.....>
1. I am researching the Blundell of ince.
2. Blundell, my great great great great grandfather was John Blundell born 1816 married to Margery Massam born 1816.   
3. They were married in 1839.
4. John's father is listed as William Blundell shoemaker.
5. I have been trying for years to find John's birth records but don't know his mother's name.
6. I have come across a baptism record for a John born in 1816.
7. Farther William mother Betty.
8. He was born in Nashville.
9. How can I verify if it's the right John? I would be very grateful if anybody can help me . etc

And now we can start to look at the problem.......   

Firstly do you have a death certificate or obituary notice or gravestone or other death indicator?
Secondly , have you attempted to find any census for this family?
Thirdly, have you attempted to contact the librarians in Nashville Tennessee or looked at birth registration indexes to see if the family has other entries for the area?

This post needs to be moved to the American boards.....or the Lancashire boards....

there is a website for Lancashire UK known as lancsOPC and it has a great deal of the transcriptions of Ince...... I strongly recommend the use of that for data prior to 1816 etc....

:)

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
Do you know if he had any siblings?
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 15 04:31 BST (UK) »

I find the grammar of this post appalling.....>

That is a little rude fastfusion.  :(

And surely you mean punctuation rather than grammar? All you did to correct Mary's post was put in a few full stops and capital letters - that is punctuation. Oh, and you corrected a spelling 'mistake'.  ::)

May I ask what this means ".....>"? That is not a punctuation mark as far as I am aware. I think you will find that "lancsOPC" as you have written it, should be "Lancs OPC". You have also neglected to use a capital T for There in your last sentence.  ::)

You would be well advised to review your own posts, which contain a plethora of errors in punctuation, before being so critical of others, especially a brand new member.

By the way fastfusion, at #8 you say that "He was born in Nashville." Where did you get that from? Mary said he was born in Maghull, which is around Liverpool way if I am not mistaken, and therefore in Lancashire.

Welcome to rootschat Mary and I hope you don't take offence to fastfusion's comments.  :) I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 15 05:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at your question Mary, many people did not know exactly where they were born so it may be that John lived in Ince when a youngster and thought he had been born there.

Regarding the 1816 baptism you found in Maghull - where did you find this?
Have you tried matching up the occupation of his father William, to see it if it relates to Shoemaking? Occupations sometimes changed over people's lives but sometimes not, so this may be an avenue to explore.

I agree with Lisa that you should look for siblings for your John, as well as other children born to the William and Betty in Maghull, as there might be some clues there.

Unless I have missed something, the Lancs OPC site recommended by fastfusion lists two parish churches for Ince and records for both start far too late for your John to have been baptised there.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 05:28 BST (UK) »
Mary I think I have found the 1816 baptism you refer to on FreeREG in St Michael, Aughton (Ormskirk).

The father is William and his occupation is farmer, and the family lived in Lydiate.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 August 15 05:35 BST (UK) »
I found John and Margery in 1841 in Ince Blundell with their two children. Both are 25 and born in county.

(Have you noticed there are a lot of Massam neighbours who may be related to Margery who might be worth investigating.)

In 1851 he is an ag lab rather than a shoemaker. He says he is born in Ince Blundell. In fact there are two John Blundells both born in 1816 in Ince Blundell, and both are married to women called Margery. Bit of an odd coincidence. Children are different though. Just keep this in mind when searching for your John.  :-\

In 1861 one of the wives is Margaret rather than Margery ....  John again says he is born in Ince Blundell.

Weighing up all that I have seen on the censuses, it does seem quite possible that William and Betty are the parents of your John Blundell. Lydiate, Ince Blundell and Aughton are all in close proximity.

Keep in mind the other John Blundell born in Ince Blundell in 1816 too - it would be easy to get the two confused. It is possible they are cousins perhaps. It might be worth doing some more investigation to find the marriage of the other John to the other Margaret/Margery and see if you can find out the name of this John's father.  :-\

But if both Johns were born in Ince Blundell in the same year, and both married women called Margaret/Margery, how do you know which is your John?  ::)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 August 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
Well said Ruskie - not everyone was lucky enough to have an education whereupon they were taught English Language to a high standard - my own wife being one of those unfortunate pupils ..and it is very rude to pull people down because they are not able to communicate according to the Oxford Dictionary standard .
I live about 11 miles from Ince Blundell - I will now read the posts through - after reading, I will try and help .
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 15 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mary Vallance and a huge welcome to Rootschat
www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk
Roman Catholic Marriages
Blundell
search
you will see the following
1839 Ref No 294 Holy Family Church,Ince Blundell - John Blundell to Margery Massam - REQUEST FORM .....if you wish to buy a copy of their marriage record it will cost you £3...
this is what your marriage record will look like - and looks nice on your wall
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcmarriages/1874-595.pdf
now - lets look for John Blundell baptism
John was born 1813 in Ince Blundell - Margery was born 1816 in Ince Blundell - here is the family
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQ6F-4M5
back soon - I hope ...lol
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford