Author Topic: Kingsmills Presbyterian Church - 1788-1988  (Read 9708 times)

Offline willdo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kingsmills Presbyterian Church - 1788-1988
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 January 16 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.. Your reply is great! Are you in Armagh? Judging by the time you're over there somewhere. I'll give you some additional info I have. My mother Grace was the youngest daughter of Samuel junior b.21 Mar.1871. Mom just passed away 2 Dec.2015 age 98! Samuel Sr. b.16Mar1838 d.09Apr.1911 Ottawa Canada, Jane (Irvine) b.1847 d.16Sep1897 Ottawa, Jane (Jennie) b. 24Sep1866 d.10Jul1915 Ottawa, Agnes b.10Mar1869 d.04Dec1943 Ottawa, Samuel Jr. b.21Mar1871 d.22Nov1944 Assiniboia Saskatchewan, Mary Ann (Minnie) b.25Mar1873 d.08Oct1940 Ottawa, James b.08Apr1875 d.11Mar1884 Nepean Ontario, William George b. 22Mar1878 d.06Oct1903 Ottawa, Harriet b.09Apr1880 d.03Jun1880 (3 months ) on board S.S.Manitoban enroute to Ottawa, Walter Hugh b.24Jul1884 d.14Oct1946 Valleyfield Quebec.
Samuel Jr married Emma Myers there children were  Eva May b.1901 d.1965, Lorne Herbert b. 1903 d.1918, Beatrice Muriel b.1906 d.1984, Samuel Ross b.1915 d.1992, Margorie Grace b.1917 d.2015. I have their birth, marriage, death and children info for anyone who would like. We are planning a trip to Armagh so any local contact would be appreciated.

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 January 16 03:00 GMT (UK) »
What a good long life your mother had. It would appear that longevity may be in the family, as the cause of death for one of your ancestors was 'old age'!

I wonder if Samuel McCormick snr's father (your gt-gt grandfather) was the William McCormick, who was born in 1801 (died in 1874 at the age of 73)? As well as the Roots Ireland website, of course Ancestry.com is amazing. My subs have now elapsed as I've gone as far with my family as I could, but others on this website may be able to help you with info if you want to do more research before you leave.

I did see that on 28 Apr 1848 Alexander, Samuel, John and William McCormick, all farmers from Divernagh, signed along with many others in the Newry area in support of the monarchy. A bit like the Ulster Covenant from 1912.

I would recommend visiting Kingsmills Presbyterian church when you are over in County Armagh. You may find gravestones there that may help, as that is where the burials were that I listed. Talk to elderly people in the area, and in the church community.

I can't help I'm afraid, as I'm in New Zealand.
Wishing you all the best, and a very happy time exploring. It's meant to be very beautiful in that part of the countryside.

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 January 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
One more thing - you may well find living descendants. It appears that there were two relatively recent McCormick burials at Kingsmills, and there were female descendants. I'm sure the church people will help you.

Offline willdo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 16 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all this info. You are a great analyst. James McC was the father of Sam Sr. so William may well have been his father, the age would be about right. I've emailed the school as Nicola McC is on the Board of Governors so there may be a link there, awaiting a reply. I read that Rev. Frank Gibson was still at the church in 2013 so will try to contact him. I don't have an email for the church, I might be able to go through the Presbyterian Church in Newry. Cheers!

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 February 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello! Sorry to jump on your post. I know it was from a while back!

I am researching my direct line and my 4 x Great Grandmother Rachel McCormick was born abt 1811 in Lisadian Townland, Loughgilly Parish.

She died 11 AUG 1874 in Penicuik.

She married John McLean from Donaghmore, Co down and they had children born in Ireland & Scotland.
Esther 1837, Janet 1838 & James 1839 born Ireland, Margaret 1841 Linlithgow Scotland. John 1844 & William 1847 both Ireland. Then finally Archibald 1849, Robert 1854 & Alexander 1855 born Peebles, Scotland.

From a document I found on Scotlands people it names John McCormick & Grace Cousins as her parents.

Could my McCormicks be linked to the McCormicks you have found?
I look forward to your response! Thank you

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
A message from willdo

I CAN’I SEEM TO DO A DIRECT REPLY USING THE ROOTS SITE SO I HOPE THIS GETS TO YOU. In May/June of 2017 we attended the Kingsmills church and met the McCormicks and many of the extended family. The short answer is that if your McCormicks attended Kingsmills church, we are related. The McCormicks have farmed the same land in the Divernagh area for over 200 years and likely since 1750. I was able to get a family tree from the current family and also commissioned 2 additional searches. It appears that around 1800 to 1805 there were 5 brothers. James born approx 1798, Samuel approx 1800,  William 1801, James approx 1802, and Alex 1804. Alex had a son John b1831 who married Martha Whitten b1842. They had a son John Alexander b1870 who was married three times, to Anna Tweede b1870 d1906, his second wife Mary Robb and to wife three Anna Cartmill new Barron.

Best Regards, Bill M.

Willdo,

Please do type in capitals, it is considered that you are shouting at me !

I could see that you were logged in. To reply to your topic of interest you scroll down to the last response, just below this you will find the blue reply button you click on this and it will open up a white box for you to type your reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Irene Ross

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 January 20 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I have been a member of Kingsmill Presbyterian Church for more than thirty years and have a copy of the book you are interested in.

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
I know these posts were awhile ago but looking for relatives that could have attended Kingsmill called McComb (James, David and William John).

I know for definite William John attended Ballylane Presbyterian but I believe as a child he might have attented Kingsmill as his father David came from Drumcrow.

Any help would be appreciated.

I also know William John had 3 wives. His first wife committed suicide in 1882 but cant find her maiden name.

Offline wilson853

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
My ancestors attended Kingsmills Church and I am trying to find more information on my Great Grandfather David Patton and his Father Hugh Patton.
Hugh married Ann Gourley
David was born about 1845
Rachel Patton married Robert Madden at Kingsmills
I cant find any information about Hugh b about 1820 his marriage or Davids christening.
I would appreciate any help I could get as i have hit a brick wall with Hugh.
They lived at Carrickananny Hugh is on the Griffiths land registration but i cant find his father.