Author Topic: Electoral Rolls  (Read 12911 times)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral Rolls
« on: Friday 14 August 15 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am doing some research for my wife who has early dementia and i am hoping that some kind person may have access to the Electoral Rolls.
I have a marriage of a Bridget Whelan born about 1818 in Ireland, has been married twice once in Ireland in 1840 and the second in Kapunda South Australia 1852 if this is the same women she has married for a third time to James Carroll in 1871 Tuimata which i believe is Auckland both are widowed the marriage took place in Bridget's house.
I can not seem to place any Bridget with a James Carroll in the Electoral Rolls but a James Carroll does appear in a town named Hokitiki and that town is where my wife's Bridget has a married daughter Catherine Martha McCormack living in Hokitika by 1876.

Did find a death of a Bridget Carroll 1888 born about 1818 but no place mentioned, will get the certificate but can not expect too much information from that.

Maybe I am clutching at straws but I was hoping there may be something in the Electoral Rolls to help, appreciate any help what so ever

Colin   

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

You have posted on the completed requests board I will ask the mods to transfer it for you

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
Women didn't get the vote in NZ until 1893

Cheers Janette

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 15 01:21 BST (UK) »

Did find a death of a Bridget Carroll 1888 born about 1818 but no place mentioned, will get the certificate but can not expect too much information from that.

Colin

Hi Colin

I've have a good scout around our various New Zealand resources and come up with some info relating to James CARROLL - Bridget WHELAN, will post that shortly.

As to the Bridget CARROLL death in 1888, I hope the following will spare you the purchase of a death certificate.  ;)

The New Zealand Death Index (at ancestry), shows that this 1888 death was registered at "Lyttelton, Auckland".    Lyttelton is actually in the South Island province of Canterbury ("Auckland" is an error on the index).

Two of the local Canterbury newspapers "Star" (Christchurch) and the "Press" carried similar reports on 1 December 1888, about an elderly lady, named in one as Mrs CARROLL, who although unwell, had died unexpectedly at her residence in Winchester Street, Lyttelton.     An inquest into her death was held, but the outcome of same, doesn't seem to have been published in the newspapers.     However, Archives New Zealand have a listing under "Coroner's Inquests - Canterbury" dated 1889, regarding a Bridget CARROLL.  [Although inquests were generally held promptly,  because this death occurred in December (1888) it may not have been been dealt with until early in the new year of 1889. ] 

Have no further info on this Bridget CARROLL, though she may have been connected in some way to a "Michael John CARROLL" who resided at Winchester Street, Lyttelton c. 1880-81.

see following post >
   ~  Lu

Link to PapersPast website >
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 15 01:46 BST (UK) »

I have a marriage of a Bridget Whelan born about 1818 in Ireland, has been married twice once in Ireland in 1840 and the second in Kapunda South Australia 1852 if this is the same women she has married for a third time to James Carroll in 1871 Tuimata which i believe is Auckland both are widowed the marriage took place in Bridget's house.

Hi again Colin

From what I've been able to find in a variety of NZ records, I believe that the Bridget WHELAN who married James CARROLL in 1871 (at Tuimata), was most likely to have been Bridget, the widow of a Philip WHELAN.

It seems likely also that she is the Bridget CARROLL - aged 54 years [bc 1839] - who died in 1893. 
The NZ Death Index (@ ancestry) records that 1893 death as being registered at Drury, Auckland (which is only a few miles from Tuimata.)

[Philip WHELAN, aged 32, the husband of Bridget, had died in September 1870. 
Death registered at Drury. ]
                                                                               see next  >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 15 02:03 BST (UK) »
NZ Births

The following children were born to parents, Philip and Bridget WHELAN, births registered at Drury.

1869 - WHELAN - Sylvester
1870 - WHELAN - Lawrence 

And, these children were born to James and Bridget CARROLL - also reg'd. at Drury.

1873 - CARROLL - John
1875 - CARROLL - Francis

----------

Was lucky enough to find a probate record for Sylvester WHELAN (a.k.a. Silvester WHALEN) who died at Auckland in 1943.   In his Will (dated 1917) he had appointed a John CARROLL as his executor.   The probate file contained an affidavit from John CARROLL, who although, he (CARROLL), did not elaborate on the nature of his relationship to Sylvester WHELAN, he did state that both of them had been born at "Tuhimata*".  [* Spelling ?]

[NOTE:  It does seem very likely that Sylvester WHELAN and John CARROLL were half-brothers, ... the sons of Bridget CARROLL, formerly WHELAN ? ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 15 02:34 BST (UK) »
Mmm ... couldn't earlier find a marriage of a Bridget to a Philip WHELAN (or var.) ??

Did find a couple of family trees online (@ ancestry) which showed a marriage to a Mary FLEMING or FLEMMING ?  ... and references to a place named as "Taumata" in Otago, NZ.   ???

A further search though revealed "Marriage:  1866 - 26 January - at the dwelling house of Philip WHELAN - Tuimata."      [None of the trees seem to have picked up on the later marriage to James CARROLL ?? ]

The NZ Marriage Index has >

Bridget FLEMING - Philip PHELAN   [sic] -- Year :   1866       ;D

So it would seem that Bridget WHELAN who married James CARROLL, had the maiden name of FLEMING ?

~  Lu 

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you Janette for putting me on the right track for those Electoral Rolls should have worked that one out for myself.
Colin.

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 15 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy 2
I can't thank you enough for all that research you have gone to, so much and so disappointing with the results but that's what we must expect to happen if we are to get it right.
My wife has been looking for just on 17 years for her distant Grandmother and her new born son but they have completely disappeared, no marriages deaths or immigration that we can find.
Oh well back to the grindstone.
Really appreciate all your hard research.
Thank you
 Colin