Author Topic: Electoral Rolls  (Read 12859 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 August 15 01:45 BST (UK) »

Can you name the distant grandmother and new born son please....dates, places...and it might be possible to assist your research.

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your offer Bridget Whelan nee Joyce nee Brennan was from Mayo Ireland but she settled in South Australia at a town named Kapunda her last husband was John Whelan but he died 1856 the same year as his son Hugh Whelan was born, snipets of news from Trove where assistant is asked for to help Bridget out but then nothing more.
Two of Bridget's daughters from previous marriage to Patrick Joyce went to New Zealand Catherine Martha Joyce married Michael Mc Cormack in 1876 at Hokitika N/Z and Mary Ann her sister died at ReeftonN/Z 1896 this is why i was assuming that maybe Bridget Wheelan left South Australia to be with her daughter or daughters after the death of her husband but as she had other children she would have stayed there until they were grown up to look after themselves.
Thinking that Bridget may have gone to New Zealand this is why i was enquiring about the Electorals Rolls but have been told they did not include women until about 1893
Maybe I have taken that wrong road trying to find her as she was only about 38 when her last husband died I did look for another marriage but nothing really concrete turns up.

Thank you for assistance.

Colin

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 August 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your offer Bridget Whelan nee Joyce nee Brennan was from Mayo Ireland but she settled in South Australia at a town named Kapunda her last husband was John Whelan but he died 5th October 1856 the same year as his son Hugh Whelan was born 27th March 1856,snipets of news from Trove where assistant is asked for to help Bridget out but then nothing more.
Two of Bridget's daughters from previous marriage to Patrick Joyce went to New Zealand Catherine Martha Joyce married Michael Mc Cormack in 1876 at Hokitika N/Z and Mary Ann her sister died at ReeftonN/Z 1896 this is why i was assuming that maybe Bridget Wheelan left South Australia to be with her daughter or daughters after the death of her husband but as she had other children she would have stayed there until they were grown up to look after themselves.
Thinking that Bridget may have gone to New Zealand this is why i was enquiring about the Electorals Rolls but have been told they did not include women until about 1893
Maybe I have taken that wrong road trying to find her as she was only about 38 when her last husband died I did look for another marriage but nothing really concrete turns up.

Thank you for assistance.

Colin

Offline jenniemck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 August 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin, try paperspast.natlib.govt.nz for some info

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 August 15 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennyeck
Thank You. yes I have ventured down that line but no luck

Cheers Colin

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 August 15 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennymck
Thank You. yes I have ventured down that line but no luck

Cheers Colin

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 August 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Am I understanding this correctly, and using WHELAN and WHEELAN but not finding......

Bridget Whelan nee Joyce nee Brennan was from Mayo Ireland but she settled in South Australia at a town named Kapunda........Bridget (formerly JOYCE?) nee BRENNAN arrived in SA as Mrs JOYCE or Mrs WHELAN?.

her last husband was John Whelan d. 5th October 1856.....I cannot see this death on SA BDM

son Hugh Whelan b.27th  March 1856......I cannot see this birth on SA BDM

Catherine Martha JOYCE m. Michael McCORMACK 1876  Hokitika N/Z
1876/1481 Catherine Martha  JOYCE   m.    Michael  McCormack
Do you have this certificate?

Mary Ann her sister d. Reefton N/Z 1896.......I cannot see death for Mary Ann (JOYCE?)
NZ BDM

Bridget Wheelan ...........had other children.  Can you give details of her JOYCE and WHELAN / WHEELAN children please...........names, birthplaces.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 August 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Is this the sister of Catherine ??

Mary Anne O'LOUGHLIN
53 years - [bc 1843 ]
Born:   Mayo

Buried :  Reefton Cemetery -- buried 15 May 1896

~  Lu

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 August 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
Quote from: wivenhoe
Bridget Wheelan ...........had other children.  Can you give details of her JOYCE and WHELAN / WHEELAN children please...........names, birthplaces.

Accuracy unknown but here's a website with some names...

http://www.thetreeofus.net/5/144104.htm

Regards
Beg