Author Topic: Jonathon Hopkinson  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Jonathon Hopkinson
« on: Friday 14 August 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
A series of Jonathon Hopkinsons lived in northeast derbyshire between 1770-1870ish and I am struggling to disentangle them; would really appreciate some help, whether that's through resources I haven't seen or just some fresh eyes!

All action takes place in Norton, Beauchief, Totley, Dore -- now in Sheffield but then in Derbyshire. Reg district Ecclesall Bierlow.Here's what I've got:

Jonathon Hopkinson, scythesmith of Beauchief,, m Mary Ogden at Dore in 1794

Mary wife of Jonathon Hopkinson died May 9 1801
Mary their daughter died May 6 1823 age 25  (both on same headstone at Beauchief)
(ok so far though I can't find daughter Mary's baptism)

Will abstract May 1811 – Jonathon Hopkinson, scythesmith, = unnamed wife, + children Joseph, Mary, Jonathon, Ann. (but which Jonathon is this?? no mention of children's possible ages and I can't find any baptisms with Jonathon as father)

Jonathon son of Jonathon and Ann Hopkinson died Nov 28 1811 age 6y (headstone at Beauchief) (no baptism found, no marriage for Jonathon and Ann)

Baptisms at Beauchief for Jonathon and Elizabeth:
Elizabeth 1813;   Sarah 1815; Paul 1816; Rebecca 1819  (which Jonathon? where's the marriage? arrghh)

1841 census:
Jonathon H. age 70 farmer, Elizabeth age 67, Paul age 24, farmer, together at Beauchief

Another Beauchief household in 1841:
Henery Hopkinson, ag lab age 50, wife and children, and Jonathon Hopkinson age 30

1851 census:
Jonathon H aged 79 with son Paul and his family (at last, some clarity!! Links nicely with baptism above. So this Jonathon b around 1772.)

1861 census:
Jonathon H age 89, retired farmer b Beauchief, with grandson Samuel H age 59, faremer and draper at Park Head (a couple of miles up the road) (if Samuel was the grandson, who was Samuel's father? only 30 years between Jonathon and Samuel, how likely is this?)

FreeBMD has a death in Ecclesall Bierlow of a Jonathon H in 1862 but no age given - I presume it's the elderly Jonathon above.

Too many unfound baptisms and marriages, two deaths in 1811 that I can't attribute, any help gratefully received!

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathon Hopkinson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello
Right if you look at familysearch and the first marriage in 1794 at Dronfield it does give ages for the couple Jonathon 23 and Mary 22.
This makes your Jonathon born 1771 and matches with a baptism 27.9.1772 At Dore to a Samuel and Ann Hopkinson and the latter censuses 1841-1861 death 3.6.1862 at Bents Green Eccleshall and a burial at Beauchief on the 6th.

Jonathon Hopkinson of Beauchief  married Elizabeth Butler at Hocketon Notts 3.7.1797 according to Familysearch and Pallots marriage index and Freereg but no info if a widower.

A family tree on ancestry has a Joseph s of Jonathon and Mary baptised 8.2.1795 Beauchief

Robinsons Trade Directory 1797 gives Jonathon as a sycthe smith and also a Samuel Hopkinson in the same trade.

The Will of 1811 has death duties paid on it and these should be available at the National Archives.these apparently give more information on the precipitants of the Will and their addresses etc. It'll cost you £3.30.Not exactly sure what it says because I've never done it myself.

There are a Jonathon and Leah at Norton baptising children 1726-1734 =children Samuel 30.4.1734,Joseph 19.8.1731,Martha10.4.1729,Anna 28.9.1726 so there are several generations of Jonathans.

I'm not sure if these have survived for Derbyshire but in theory Militia lists for the village would give all the men aged 15-45/55(can't remember age) by year eligible to be called up for the local militia 1775 onwards.

How many Jonothan Hopkinsons are there on that and when do they arrive on the list and leave because they are now too old? Some lists also give occupations and children but that's hoping for a bit too much.

Hope that helps
Ciderdrinker

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
Gosh - thank you - a lot more info for me to digest -----

but I am really puzzled as I can't get the info you state from Familysearch; no matter how I search, I cannot find the ages at marriage, nor indeed the marriages and baptisms that you mention extra to my first post!

Clearly I'm doing something wrong but what? What did you search on to get the info??
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes partly my fault.
The baptisms are on Familysearch under choose location England,view all 53 historical records, England birth and christenings and then it depends what you put in as place of birth.If you put in just Derbyshire and scroll all the way through them they do come up.Or you choose different places in the area.

The marriage with the extra details for Jonathon and Mary was on Ancestry under England select  Derbyshire Church of England registers 1538-1910 .Source FHL ,Church of Latter Days Saints Utah.
Obviously I should have checked that the entry on Familysearch was the same but I used a lot of websites at the same time and that slipped through the net.
Apologises.

I since tracked down a printed register of the marriages at Dronfield and Beauchief at

http://ukga.org/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?action=ViewRec&DB=8&bookID=24&page=i&submit=Submit

And it doesn't give that extra info on their ages.The marriage is by licence so I can only think that the extra information comes from that.Sorry.

And looking for baptisms they supposedly start at Beauchief parish church in 1812 ,so where could the family be going before that?
Genuki suggests Dronfield.

Will get back to you if i can find some more.
Ciderdrinker

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just used the general search page on Family Search put in Jonathan Hopkinson married Dronfield 1794.
Click on one of the records that shows a camera and the record will tell you to sign in........It's free and just needs a user name and password......
Then click on the camera on the right hand side of the page to view the marriage licence in full.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you v much for all the help :)

I hope to be able to go to the Sheffield archive office some time in Sept to have a look at the Beauchief records (they tell me that they are held there - it's awkward when county boundaries are crossed, you don't know where to look!)

I need to look at the Dronfield situation as well - those records seem to encompass Dore, Holmesfield and Totley as well and I find it difficult to believe that people from each of those places had to schlepp to Dronfield to go to church. I know our ancestors walked far more than we did but I know that there is/was a church in Dore, for example, so I'm wondering if Dronfield was a sort of administrative centre for the local churches.

Thank you again! (and if anyone else comes up with any more -- it's all welcome and gratefully received!)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)