Author Topic: Crew Lists of seasonal fisherman from Poole 1700-1800  (Read 1466 times)

Offline filoging

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crew Lists of seasonal fisherman from Poole 1700-1800
« on: Friday 14 August 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors that came from England and ended up as fishermen in Newfoundland in the 1700 -1800's. I believe they were from the parish of Sherborne in Dorset. I believe that the fishing company (Poole) hired them as seasonal workers as young lads. Which, I understand, was very common back then. I also understand that the Poole company had to have some records of who they hired. I would like to know how I could find those records to see if my ancestors were some of those whom they hired. The parents were Jacob and Ann Atwood and there children were:
Ann Atwood born 13 May 1745
Jacob Atwood born 24 Feb 1747
Esau Atwood born 13 May 1750
Nathaniel Atwood born 19 May 1752
Hester Atwood born 19 Apr 1756

I have records from Newfoundland (Keith Matthews name file) that reference a Jacob, Esau, and Nathaniel Atwood. Sometimes the last name is spelled Attwood.
Esau in particular registered a 'fishing room' in 1805 and it stated that he had it for 27 years which would mean that he must have started to 'winter' over or stay in Newfoundland permanently from about 1778 if this is indeed my Esau.
I would surely appreciate any help you could give me.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Crew Lists of seasonal fisherman from Poole 1700-1800
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Filoging

Welcome to Roots chat and be sure there are so many people who are available, knowledgeable and willing to offer help with your research in here.

I would recommend you also visit this web site and use their research facility to see what you can uncover: www.dorsetfhs.org.uk

They offer a great service and may well know where the records of the Poole Fishing Company may still be held.

Good hunting

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crew Lists of seasonal fisherman from Poole 1700-1800
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat from me also.
In the 1700's  John Slade was very active in the trade between Poole and Newfoundland, his biography is available online and mentions recruiting in Sherborne and other Dorset towns, it also cites some sources, but I think you may have seen this as it is on a canadian website.

I agree with NDRFT that Dorset family history society is a good idea, I did not have much luck searching Dorset archives, others may have more success. :)

Mike