Author Topic: james mcfall  (Read 7660 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james mcfall
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 August 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
It's very difficult to help if you don't answer questions put to you. So, once again, who is "James McFall electrical engineer" born "about 1840-1841"
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annalexander96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 August 15 02:21 BST (UK) »
have you not read the post telling you who he is.He was my grandfather (James McFall)  electrical engineer born around 1841.My father s name is also James McFall born 1903.ann

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 August 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
So you are saying that your grandfather James McFall was born c1840/41 in Belfast and was an electrical engineer in 1903? Which means that he was over 60 years old when your father was born. Not impossible, of course, but it does make him over 40 years older than your grandmother Sarah Isabella Burke (also not impossible). Where did you get that age from? and where did you get that he was born in Belfast?

I have also found that there is a james and Jemima mcfall mentioned in some papers that I found last night. Jemima is mentioned in a tree of my cousin
What sort of papers? How is Jemima mentioned in your cousin's tree- is she the wife of a James McFall? daughter? mother?

I did find a James McFall in the North of England born c1843/1844 in Ireland with wife Jemima but since he seems to have died in 1893 he certainly can't be the father James McFall born 1903 (your father).

On a more positive note, I did find a bit more about your family.

Your father's birth certificate lists his father James as an electrical engineer.
U.K. Electrical Engineers-
1904 directory: James McFall, Associate Membership, 20 Loraine Terrace, Lemington, near Newcastle-on-Tyne
Also listed in 1905 and 1906 directories but without an address

You could get some of the certificates which I don't think you have but I'm not convinved they will shed any more light on things-
- Sarah I. McFall married 1940 Newcastle to Alfred Hopper (she may or may not be listed as widow but that still doesn't say when or where James McFall died, if indeed he was dead then)
- birth certificate for Alfred McFall (1911). Born just after 1911 census (when parents aren't in same household I think?) so his father might or might not be listed on certificate.

Does your father's marriage certificate list his father as 'James McFall, electrical engineer'? What about naturalisation papers? Have you tried contacting other family members directly to see if they've any more clues?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Given that Sarah Isabella was at 100 Biddleston Road, Heaton in 1911 with Dorothy and James, I can only assume she is the Mrs McFall of same address who posted a wanted notice in the Exeter and Plymouth gazette in March 1912, asking for someone to adopt a healthy baby boy for love only. This was presumably Alfred.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 August 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
Alfred McFall was born 16 Oct.1911  :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 August 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,I don't know anything much about James .He married Sarah Isabella Burke in Newcastle upon tyne and had two children with her. My Dad also named James born 1903 in Newcastle and Dorothy born 1907 in Newcastle.He disappeared after he was found to be having a fling with some woman and Sarah's brother Thomas beat him up.Cheers Ann

Although you stated 2 children, it does seem increasingly likely there were 3. Perhaps you weren't aware of Alfred. This other researcher (not you?), does seem to have known there were 3 children http://boards.ancestry.com.au/surnames.mcfall/333/mb.ashx . He too states James was an engineer, but seems to think he was born Glasgow, possibly c1880.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline annalexander96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
James McFall born about 1840-1841 was listed as an electrical engineer on my Dad's birth certificate.The age doesn't sound right at all.I have James snr information from my cousin's tree.My aunt told me in a letter that her father came from Belfast.I wish that I'd asked my Dad about him as it seemed to be very hush hush and he didn't say much about James snr.My Dad used to mention a Jemima so that is where we got that info from,There seems to be so much that doesn't add up.I did look on the UK electrical engineers website.My grandmother Sarah Isabella McFall(nee Burke) married Alfred Hopper and had a son to him also Alfred.He took the name of McFall ,I suppose to avoid scandal.We only figured it out many years later when we put two and two together that Alfred was in fact Hopper's son.Hope this helps.Ann

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
It's difficult to find more information when you base your research on guesses, family stories, etc.You kept insisting that your grandfather James McFall was born c1840 in Belfast and now it turns out that both  pieces of information may be incorrect.

My grandmother Sarah Isabella McFall(nee Burke) married Alfred Hopper and had a son to him also Alfred.He took the name of McFall ,I suppose to avoid scandal.
If you mean the son Alfred McFall born in 1911- Sarah Isabella's name was McFall at the time of his birth so that would have been his surname.
If Sarah Isabella McFall and Alfred Hopper were involved in a relationship by 1911 then it's surprising they didn't marry until 1940. Sometimes that indicates that one or both weren't free to marry. Divorce was quite uncommon, and expensive probably, and often it was a case of waiting until the estranged spouse had died.

My Dad used to mention a Jemima so that is where we got that info from
I did find a James McFall married to a Jemima (haven't tried looking for her maiden name) but he died in 1893 and I didn't see a son called James McFall in that family. Perhaps the Jemima you father recalled was related somehow but that Jemima McFall was born c1832 and lived in Cumberland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify what had and hasn't been found so far-

No marriage found in England or Ireland
1903   James McFall born (20 Oct., Newcastle)- father James McFall, electrical engineer
1904   (published date) James McFall, electrical engineer, 20 Loraine Terrace, Lemington nr Newcastle- listed 1905 & 1906 without a date. Note: address is west of Newcastle centre whereas all of family’s address is east of centre
1905   Dorothy McFall born (Whitley Bay?/Tyne dist.)
1911   (1 Apr.) Dorothy (status- married) & 2 children at 100 Biddleston Rd., Heaton
         No sign of James McFall in England or Ireland**
1911   Alfred McFall born (16 Oct., Newcastle)- father Alfred Hopper?
1912   (March) ‘Mrs McFall’ looking for family to adopt baby boy (Alfred)
1940   Sarah Isabella McFall married Alfred Hopper

** seaches of 1911 census (England & Ireland), Belfast directories (1908-1918), passenger lists (leaving U.K.), etc. are roughly based on James' occupation as electrical engineer

Only other place I can suggest to look at this point is 1911 Scottish census in case James headed up north. Unfortunately only available on Scotland's People website (pay per view) and no way to search with occupation or birthplace