Author Topic: Brick Wall Help - Blamé and Moore families 1700s City of London/Southwark area  (Read 2966 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
I wonder if any records survive in an Archive for this area? The London Metropolitan Archives?
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/london-metropolitan-archives

The London Gazette, 5th July 1842

Pursuant' to the Act for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors in England.

THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF INSOLVENT DEBTORS.

N.B.—See the Notice at the end of these Advertisements.

The following PRISONERS, whose Estates and Effects have been vested in the Provisional Assignee by Order of the Court, having filed their Schedules, are ordered to be brought up before the Court, at the Court-House, in Portugal-Street, Lincoln's Inn-Fields, on Friday the 29th day of July 1842, at Nine o'Clock in the Forenoon, to be dealt with according to the Statute :

Henry Blame Moore (sued as Henry Moore), late of No. 1, Sheppy-yard, Minories, Middlesex, Custom-house Waterman, then of No. 8, Sparrow-corner, Minories, London, Green Grocer, Lo 'ging Housekeeper, and Custom-house Waterman, formerly of No. 18, Seething lane, Tower-street, London, Custom-house Waterman.

Mark

Some Customs files survive in the National Archives at Kew, under Cat Series: CUST

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C67

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall Help - Blamé and Moore families 1700s City of London/Southwark area
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 March 24 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this article. That is interesting indeed.

I wonder if George Moore and Martha Mackey Moore were siblings and so George named a son after his brother-in-law.

However despite her unusual name, I cannot find a baptiam of a Martha Mackey Moore.

Some people on ancestry have put George's parents in and identifed his baptism, but George Moore is a common name.

I need to look more into this.

Thanks again for posting,
Jon

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall Help - Blamé and Moore families 1700s City of London/Southwark area
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 March 24 15:20 BST (UK) »
"My ancestor was John Thomas Moore (1780-1862) who was a Waterman who was born in and lived his whole life in the Southwark area. He married Jane Hemmings in Greenwich in 1800 and from 1812 until his death lived in Pitt's Place, Bankside in Southwark."

Will listed
This chap left a Will Proved 1862, Wills can sometimes reveal bits you don't know, but for £1.50 (via Online ordering) it might be worth getting?

If you go to the Official gov.uk webpage.

Type in the Search box ... Probate Wills (within the official site), it will take you to some links and from one of the links you can Register (was free) search and order Wills.

A few official Wills Index (Calendar) pages sometimes have a folio number written adjacent to the relevant entry as well, if so, include this in the relevant box with the details from the brief Wills Index (Calendar) description.

I got this snippet from elsewhere ... as I find searching the gov.uk unreliable and poor since it was last changed.

Mark

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 March 24 15:41 BST (UK) »
"My ancestor was John Thomas Moore (1780-1862) who was a Waterman who was born in and lived his whole life in the Southwark area. He married Jane Hemmings in Greenwich in 1800 and from 1812 until his death lived in Pitt's Place, Bankside in Southwark."

Will listed
This chap left a Will Proved 1862, Wills can sometimes reveal bits you don't know, but for £1.50 (via Online ordering) it might be worth getting?

If you go to the Official gov.uk webpage.

Type in the Search box ... Probate Wills (within the official site), it will take you to some links and from one of the links you can Register (was free) search and order Wills.

A few official Wills Index (Calendar) pages sometimes have a folio number written adjacent to the relevant entry as well, if so, include this in the relevant box with the details from the brief Wills Index (Calendar) description.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I actually did indeed get this will a long time ago and it certainly helped fill in some gaps and that he owned properties in Pitts Place in Bankside.

It is funny when you revisit a line that you have not looked at for a long time. You have to get back in the zone for the branch!

I would love to know where his money came from as I expect he inherited from someone, but no luck yet. I have not found a will for his father George, who seems to have died in 1821.

I hope something may emerge at some point!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 March 24 15:55 BST (UK) »
It is worth searching those names in your early posts in the London Gazette, I put names in commas.

Some notices start with surname first, others don't.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/
Goes back to 1660

And see what appears ...

Because of OCR scanning you may have to search by surname only, and part of an address or place name and year date. You may have to open quite a few pdfs and sometimes it is someone else, because the search terms are in different notices on the same page, but it is free.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 March 24 16:32 BST (UK) »

I would love to know where his money came from as I expect he inherited from someone, but no luck yet. I have not found a will for his father George, who seems to have died in 1821.

Some Watermen had previously been Masters of a vessel or in the Royal Navy.
 ----------
Some Wills before 1858 (if there was one) might be PCC (Prerogative Court of Canterbury)

A search on Discovery of The National Archives, Kew, of Guilliard with PROB in the reference box returns 2 PCC Wills and one other file, with that spelling ...

PROB 11 Wills are available for download online (TNA Discovery) and also on Anc.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=PROB&_dss=range&_ro=any&_q=%22Guilliard%22
 ----------
Other Wills
A pre 1858 Will may be registered at a local Probate Registry or Diocesan Registry (some pre 1858 Registries since incorporated into Archives).

Some Archives have Wills amongst Solicitors and Deeds Collections (I found one in my family's Deeds) never Registered for Probate at one of the York Registrys.
 ----------
Inland Revenue - Abstracts of Wills
There is an incomplete (online) late 1790s to c.1820 amongst the "IR 26" in the references box, TNA, Kew, Abstracts of Wills for some Counties (download free with a sign in).
A search for John Wells with IR 26 as a reference ...
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=John%20Wells&_cr=IR%2026&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
 ----------
Sometimes I stick a name in the search box, with the references and date boxes blank
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search

Some document returns are not held by the TNA