Author Topic: Andrew Penson - Looking for his marraige c. 1716  (Read 3438 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Penson - Looking for his marraige c. 1716
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 December 20 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garstonite

Unfortunately the link you gave does not have the information I am seeking. I know Andrew Penson married someone called Ann(e) but no surname or date or place of marriage is stated in the extract. I have tried looking for the researcher mentioned. I found a site that mentioned her but my security program put up a warning against.

The mystery continues.

Venelow

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 July 23 20:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Roots Chatters,

As the original poster of this thread, I am pleased to say I have now discovered some hard evidence that proves that the maiden name of Andrew Penson's wife Ann was Addenbrooke and that she is the Ann baptized in Jan 1695/6 the daughter of John Addenbrooke and Dorcas his wife.

In the PCC Will of Andrew Swift of Shrewsbury, written in 1749, probate 1751, he leaves a bequest to Ann the wife of Andrew Penson. He calls her his Kinswoman and confirms her identity by stating that she was the daughter of John Addenbrook Gent. of Little Hales.

Andrew Swift gave the Pensons one hundred pounds for the use and benefit of themselves and their children. 

Andrew Swift was Ann Penson's cousin. His father was also called Andrew.
Andrew Swift's mother was Ann Addenbrooke the daughter of John Addenbrooke and Joyce Bowdler and the sister of Ann Penson's father, John Addenbrooke of Little Hales.

I hope this information will be of use to other Penson/Addenbrooke researchers and remove any doubts about who Ann was.

Sincerely
Venlow
Canada

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 July 23 02:09 BST (UK) »
Congratulations!  Always so satisfying to solve a problem in such a definite way.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks mckha489.

It was very satisfying. BUT ......  it just raises more problems with Joyce Bowdler including the marriage of Joyce Bowdler to John Addenbrook which many trees on line state took place in 1656 at Barrow Salop. Of course the 1650s are always a problem.

However I can't find any parish records for Barrow in the 1600s except three pages stating in 1611 which are mostly illegible. Her second marriage to Andrew Langley is stated in many trees to have taken place on June 19th in 1666 at Broseley Salop but there is no such record in the Broseley Parish Register.  Many trees state a death/burial for her on 11 Aug 1708 but no place is stated in the online trees except for a few that say she died at Cork Ireland. I think that is a mix up with another Joyce.

Oh well, back to my utterly maddening but fascinating pastime. I think I now have enough brick walls to build a house.

Venelow