Author Topic: Help with ROWNTREE (not Chocolate family) history  (Read 1420 times)

Offline smfletcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with ROWNTREE (not Chocolate family) history
« on: Tuesday 18 August 15 03:45 BST (UK) »
I know my grandmother, Margaret Edythe Cluff married Josh Gilmour Rowntree in/around 1932 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She was only 15 years old at  the time. They had three children, Elizabeth Ellen Rowntree (1932-2000), a son (1934-living) and another daughter (1936-living). They split up when the kids were quite young, for reasons we are not aware of, although given the age when they married, not surprising.

What is surprising, and where I need help, is knowing that Margaret left Gilmour and they gave up all three of their children. All three children were split up, although where they went is not certain. Why would a mother leave her kids? Years later she did remarry and have two daughters.

I cannot find any evidence of their marriage, kids being born or divorce anywhere. Any insight/help is much appreciated to help unlock this family secret.

Offline kimmie 75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ROWNTREE (not Chocolate family) history
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found some information for you Margaret edythe cluff born 27 /4/1917-4/21971 married 1933 to josh . There is a book called the rowntree book published 1985  this book will help. She did remarry to Arthur William teed and had 2 more daughters.
Regards
Kim

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
The births are currently outside the range which in Ontario is publicly available. If you are in touch with the living children they do have the right to order replacement copies of their certificates:
http://www.ontario.ca/government/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate

Similarly the divorce records may be possible for you to get but you will not find them online:
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/divorce/documentation/
(see the last pdf - it's possible but not straightforward)

There are any number of reasons why a woman may have ending giving up (or being forced to give up) children. It is very hard to speculate on circumstances - again, it's likely that any documents regarding that are sealed for privacy so unless you are working on behalf of the living children I would expect these to be difficult if not impossible to get a look at.

(I have removed the names of the two living children - please do not post details of those who are alive or may still be alive)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found some information for you Margaret edythe cluff born 27 /4/1917-4/21971 married 1933 to josh . There is a book called the rowntree book published 1985  this book will help. She did remarry to Arthur William teed and had 2 more daughters.
Regards
Kim

Can you please post your sources for this information as it helps everyone to know whether or not it is reliable.  Online family trees, for example, are not reliable sources if they cannot cite original documents.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 03:32 BST (UK) »

I cannot find any evidence of their marriage....

Which records have you consulted?  Some guides here to finding marriages in your time period.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/access/documents/pathfinder_marriage_registrations.pdf

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/microfilm/vsmain.aspx

Debra  :)