Author Topic: the old school in Aldringham  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the old school in Aldringham
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  A local history group, including myself, did a concerted memorial record on the baptist chapel, now a residency along the Thorpness road. If that is the church, I may be able to help, if not, a more localised search for the village church, which is quite a beautiful building, has been done by other parties. I have no idea how thorough the job was done, but perhaps it may be of some use. Shall I try to find their title or a telephone number ? From experience it can save hours of frustration....

Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Two pictures of Aldringham School buildings.
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:56 GMT (UK) »
wow that was quick . I was under the impression it was rented it does not look like this in the photos does it? It certainly has changed since my GG Grandparents   the  Smith's   lived here  with their family..
Looks like we can get up the grass side  to have a look.
Sending  a photo of what I have here so hope it comes through okay.
The church is the Aldringham church as The Smiths have a daughter that is buried there called Alice aged 14 so keen to see that and someone kindly sent me a photo of it   so should find it okay.
I have not found the grave of Eliza Smith and it will be in the area some where  unless her ashes are scattered at Alice's grave  I have been in touch with most of the local councils and had no joy at all.  Never mind we have the school house to look at and Alice's grave.
Thank you so much it is really appreciated.

Maggie May. in a very warm NZ
Birch, Beardmore, Smith, Basset, Turner, Grindy, Coxon

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
There  seemed to be more older brick buildings behind that one in the pictures but I did not pursue that line as the dog started after some rabbits. You can almost assuredly gain access from the wooded slopes to the left I am sure. The church proper is down the Thorpness road, a small lane leads off to the right as you go towards the sea. I think it is signposted, but it is a ways down the lane. You come to some fairly lovely cottages and the church lies ahead of you. I have often walked around the churchyard as it is in a wonderful site......  Good Luck and enjoy....!!

Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this info . We are looking forward to coming to the area . We have never been here before so all new to us. Have printed off two maps on how to to get to the church and the school house.
Maybe we will see you there with your dog chasing rabbits...not you.
Cheers
Maggie May. :)

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 16 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Mr. Borley ,
                                       I have found out that the photos that you sent are of the school in Aldringham. so you are correct . What I did find is the second photo you posted the far away roof as there are three is the roof of  the school house where my Grandparents lived . I did not know before that the house and the school were all attached .
Also have been informed that the school rooms are privately owned and have been converted to a house many years ago .Whether this involves the school house as well since joined on I do not know as thought the church owned it.  It seems more likely the lot were sold and became one house.
Anyway I am sure I will find this out on my visit .

Cheers
Maggie May

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am sure a knock on the door could well lead to all sorts of answers for you. I guess the owners work during the day as there was no evidence of occupants when I went there.
Just as an aside, my dog, a Border Terrier, is named Maggie so the portents are favorable for you.....
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline maggie may

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Borley . yes I will be brave :o and perhaps knock on the door and see  what happens . They can only refuse cant they ?
 If your dog has the name Maggie it must be like me and comes from good breeding
Take care and may  see you both there 6th August .
Thanks for everything .