Author Topic: Sir Alexander Lees Mayall  (Read 3511 times)

Offline wakcor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Alexander Lees Mayall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
I am Leesy's daughter, Cordelia and I have quite a few photographs of my father but please can you tell me what you want them for?

Offline wakcor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 20 05:09 BST (UK) »
Leesy, as he was known by family and friends, was my father. He wrote his memoirs which are called Fireflies in Amber and the answers to most of your questions are in the book.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 April 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Wakcor,

Welcome to RootsChat, I am sorry that member michelew has not replied to your messages she has been online earlier hopefully she will reply very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Cordelia

I bought his book in which there are several photographs.   A very interesting read.   I wanted the photographs  for my family history.

My mum was Mayall before she married - strange coincidence - she married a  Lees.   Lees was my maiden name.    Your father was my fifth cousin once removed.

Thank you for responding.  Best wishes Michele

Offline WhitehallMossley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Cordelia, In 1999 I purchased the mansion built for George Mayall in 1862 and have subsequently restored it. I believe he was the Great Grandfather of your father. Over the past few years my wife has been writing a book about George and his brother John and their significant empire of cotton mills in the town of Mossley. Photos are few and far between. We have a photo of a painting of John and permission to include it in the book and also a photocopy of George with his new wife Sarah. Your fathers handwriting is below it describing the photo and this photo appears in Fireflies in Amber. My wife would like to include this photo in her book and this is why I write to you. The book is entitled "The Mayalls of Mossley" Princes of Cotton. It describes their lives and connections and their importance in the Industrial Revolution, being as they were dynamic leaders at the time in the cotton industry. Is it your family who continue to hold the copyright to this picture? Kind Regards Philip