Author Topic: Benjamin Rew, Coventry  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Surfer77

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Rew, Coventry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 October 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Benjamin Rew is also my 5th great-grandfather. I have that he married Martha Wilson in Coventry, Warwickshire, England, on February 10, 1788, when he was 23 years old. However, he died the following December. Their daughter was born the next year in 1789, so Martha must've been pregnant when he passed. The Rew family must've taken her in as a ward as Sarah Wilson Rew was a large benefactor from Benjamin and Skears Rew's mother Sarah Skears' passing. Her will was as follows:

Office copy of the will of Sarah Rew of Coventry, widow (1) to Henrietta Whiston, daughter for life then to Sarah Rew, grand daughter, natural child of Benjamin Rew, son, deceased, for life, then to Sarah Rew, grand daughter and her heirs and assigns and in default of issue to Skears Rew, son; the messuages in Far Gosford Street, Coventry (2) to Henrietta Whiston, the messuages, etc., at the bottom of Greyfriars Lane, together with premises in High Street, household goods etc. (3) to said grand daughter £100 and £5 a year to be paid from age of 21 to age of 25 (4) to grand daughter £20 to be put out as an apprentice and 2s a week for pocket money both to be paid at age 16 years, the second sum until the age of 25 years (5) to grand daughter, all silk and cotton gowns, apart from those to be given her at age of 21, two oak chests of drawers, one long oak chest, six leather bottom chairs, one gilt oval looking glass, two table cloths, one bedstead, one feather bed bolster, two pillows, two blankets, coverlid and other household goods, executrix has power to dispose of these goods and to pay monies to grand daughter at age of 25 years. (6) to Skears Rew, the household goods in the house in High Street and £20 for mourning (7) to Jane wife of Skears Rew a black silk gown and petty coat (8) to Samuel Hollyer, godson, 5 guineas (9) to Henrietta Whiston the residual estate. Henrietta Whiston appointed as executrix, dated 14 October 1803, proved 12 October 1804, examined 13 February 1809.

I don't know why, but I always thought it must be a bit rude that she left a black dress to Skears' wife. Is that shady?

Anyways, Benjamin Rew passed young, and I think the Rew family took his infant daughter in as a ward and she was always taken care of by the family. She then went on to marry into the Westley family. Hope this is helpful!