Author Topic: Sussex Heathers - can't find anything - help please!  (Read 5215 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Sussex Heathers - can't find anything - help please!
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 August 15 00:37 BST (UK) »
On line tree has Kate Mary's parents as Robert Brice 1842 – 1887 and Elizabeth Mary Sarah Cardwell
1848 – 1902.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 August 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
Off to bed now - newmodernist will get a bit of a surprise when she realises that Thomas was a Fuller not a Heather!  ;D ;D

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 August 15 00:43 BST (UK) »
Indeed :)

One last thing from me for tonight: suggested 1911 free index details for Bessie as Elizabeth Heather,18 born Peckham, in the Chelsea area

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW2P-YTG
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 August 15 00:48 BST (UK) »
Bit like my brother in law's great grandfather who adopted the surname of his step grandfather! Luckily my B in L thought it was a laugh that his name wasn't originally what he thought it was.

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Off to bed now - newmodernist will get a bit of a surprise when she realises that Thomas was a Fuller not a Heather!  ;D ;D

A bit of a surprise? A bit?! LOL!  It's going to take a while to absorb all of this!  I have no idea how you guys did it - but thank you so much I never would've found this out on my own.  If any of you would like to explain your process to me, I always love learning.  Sometimes I find my research skills need a lot of work. 

Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, avm will be able to explain how she connected the Fullers with the Heathers, but I think you were lucky that they were in London as there are lots of baptism records on line for there. Often searching with just first names, dates and places of birth produces results. You were also lucky that they gave their children middle names, but the most conclusive evidence is their address, which is the same in both censuses and the baptisms.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 August 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, avm will be able to explain how she connected the Fullers with the Heathers

I was niggled by various things:
The lack of Heather birth registrations for the children other than Louis
The lack of a marriage for Thomas & Kate in the expected names
The lack of a Worthing birth/1871 census entry for a Thomas Heather of the right sort of age

...so on a hunch that another surname might be involved I went hunting for children's birth registrations matching the first name/middle name combinations but leaving out a surname.  Finding Fuller births matching time, place and given names for Edith & Emily, I then looked for their baptisms as Fuller, and when they turned up with the 20 Flood St address and father's occupation carman (matching Thomas Heather's address and occupation in the censuses) it all started to fall into place.

As groom says, it would have stayed a hunch had there not been such good London records.

Generally, it is always essential to try to trace birth (and marriage) registrations where they are available.  We often see on here people taking an approximate birthdate from a census entry, or an approximate marriage date based on the 1911 census, and leaving it there, but finding those civil registrations can be the key to cracking a puzzle.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 22 August 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Interesting!  So again (this isn't the first time, so you'd think I'd have learned!) my problem is looking using too much information - sometimes it's better to use less.  It was a brilliant bit of searching though, thank you!

It's going to be tricky explaining it all to my Heather in-laws though!  Hopefully I'll now be able to trace the other children and their potential marriages/issue to see about cousins and such!  I wonder if any of the kids went back to Fuller?  Hmm..

Thank you again, and thank you for taking the time to explain your process.  Everytime someone does that it helps me not have to ask you guys for so much help!

Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather