Author Topic: looking for information re: family/Yarrow Farm, Wargrave,Berkshire  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Carybeth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for information re: family/Yarrow Farm, Wargrave,Berkshire
« on: Saturday 22 August 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can help please. My great aunt was a Children's 'nursery nurse/Nanny with a family at Wargrave,Berkshire during the 1st World War. I have photographs of her, (Catherine Hughes) with three children, 2 girls and a baby and it mentions Yarrow Farm. The children are very well dressed in the photo and I am presuming that the family were well off. My great aunt had been in a training establishment in Berkshire after being involved with a charity that helped children/young people find training in order to obtain work. If anyone can throw light on Yarrow Farm and know of any families that lived there around 1914-1917, I would be very grateful for any assistance.  :)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information re: family/Yarrow Farm, Wargrave,Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carybeth,  I live a couple of miles from Wargrave so was interested to read your post.  Having Googled 'Yarrow Farm Wargrave' the following came up which I think will be of interest to you:

http://www.wargravehistory.org.uk/oct07.html

It tells of Sheeplands Farm which was previously called Yarrow Farm and gives some possible family names that could be useful (the Headingtons might be most likely).

If you look at Sheeplands Farm Wargrave on Google Maps you can see that Yarrow Cottages are still part of the site.

Hope that helps  :)
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Carybeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information re: family/Yarrow Farm, Wargrave,Berkshire
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 15 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Carybeth,  I live a couple of miles from Wargrave so was interested to read your post.  Having Googled 'Yarrow Farm Wargrave' the following came up which I think will be of interest to you:

http://www.wargravehistory.org.uk/oct07.html

It tells of Sheeplands Farm which was previously called Yarrow Farm and gives some possible family names that could be useful (the Headingtons might be most likely).

If you look at Sheeplands Farm Wargrave on Google Maps you can see that Yarrow Cottages are still part of the site.

Hope that helps  :)
Heather

Thanks Heather, this gives me another lead, I would like to trace the descendants of the girls on the photo I have so I can give them copies as they are probably unlikely to have any. It is a beautiful photo, all three children, (don't know if the third one is a boy or a girl as is only about 4 months old). Thanks again Cary