Author Topic: A Belated Thank you  (Read 2766 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
A Belated Thank you
« on: Monday 24 August 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Here's a very belated Thank you to the Curate or other church official who helpfully wrote out the name of a witness on an 1871 marriage register. It would have been tough for anyone to figure this signature out.
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Belated Thank you
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 August 15 04:36 BST (UK) »
Are you certain this is a clarification/rewriting of the surname or might it be the name of another witness?
 ;) ;D

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 August 15 04:42 BST (UK) »
...good point Ruskie  :)

But I'm thinking the small + denotes the name written out and the faint script of the transcribed name makes it unlikely to be another witness.

However I can always stand corrected  ;)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 15 04:42 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D   I read the first signature as "Ruskie"   ;D  ;D

And I wonder if I should be concerned about anyone who could interpret it otherwise !  ;D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 August 15 04:46 BST (UK) »
 ;D 'Tis not me JM. I am not quite that old.

I was half joking sami.  ;) But then I did wonder if it might be an additional witness. Illegible signature. I see the crosses now you mention them. I would think it irregular to bother to clarify the name of a witness, illegible or not ....  :-\

Are there one or two witnesses on the other line?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 15 04:52 BST (UK) »
I have several retired C of E ministers as "phone a rellie" ....  So, may I mention that sometimes the Clergy have been known to 'pencil' in names if the signature is likely to be hard to read.   Similarly, they have been known to pencil in short comments into margins of parish registers if there may be a confusion in the details being recorded in the register.

Pencilled words when digitised are usually fainter than inked words  :)

;D 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 August 15 05:22 BST (UK) »
That could well be the case here then JM, though it is a bit earlier than in your living rellies experience I imagine, being an 1871 marriage (but location unknown if of any significance regarding changes/clarification).

I actually think I can see a double f in that signature ... or is it because I want to see it?  ;) I think the pencilled 'crosses' might be the clue.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 15 05:26 BST (UK) »
I have just checked by phone  :)  it seems they were following past practices handed down discreetly from earlier clergy  ;D .....

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 15 05:28 BST (UK) »
I thought I saw the double f and then I decided I was seeing things based on the pencilled entry.   That 'pencilled' entry ought to be in the same handwriting as elsewhere on the document, otherwise it may well be a further witness.  :)