Author Topic: Fenian Joe Pooles siblings  (Read 20388 times)

Offline Cariboo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fenian Joe Pooles siblings
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 05 May 16 16:23 BST (UK) »
Grizzly1......I would be very interested to know who you have going back to mid 1700's.  I can only prove to Frederick William Nassau Poole of abt 1803.
Also, very interesting comments re William Lamie and his whereabouts.  Where can that info be found?
I haven't read that Joe forgave Lamie but in Joe's last letter written while in prison he wrote "I forgive all those who have injured me and I hope no friends of mine will ever interfere with them in any way.  Leave them to the Almighty, it is best".   So I guess he included Lamie in this forgiveness.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 05 May 16 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Cariboo, basically I was asked by a friend to look into their family Tree, when the person told me her Grandfather's name and where he had lived I knew I was going to have an interesting search on my hand's so here goes regards your enquiry.
From Various sources including Church records/newpaper articles, etc and along with sourcing Birth -marriage-deaths certs from the GRO Offices in Werburgh st along with input from my good friends on this brilliant site I came up with several lead's.

My Friends Great Great Grandfather was Edward Poole d-o-b circa 1860.
His Parents Charles and Charlotte nee Smyth.

Charles was born 10-4-1833, he marries Charlotte Smyth 21-12-1854 (I have marriage cert) which gives his Father as Fredrick Poole who is a 'Painter'..the address is 140 Grt Britain St.
I found that Mary Drake was his mother.

Fredrick was born circa 1800 and the couple went on to have several  children (as you are already aware of, from your previous post) including Fredrick William 1826-1895 father of Joseph,Fredrick  who remarried when Mary died in 1865.

During my search I came across a ref in 'Wilsons Dublin Directory' Merchant and Trader 1801 of Edward Poole Painter and Glazier 28 Aungier St Dublin who was born 1766 and died in 1838.
Now noting the recurrence of the name Edward right through the Poole family and the fact that the whole family apart from Fredrick ( a Tailor)  as late as the 1911 census were involved in the House-painting business I think its fair to assume Edward was his Father.
Fredrick also named his 2nd born son Edward.

Regard's the Lamie link.
Sophia married William and they had a daughter Elizabeth born on the 23april 1881.
the address given is 18 Crampton Court.
During or before Joe's Trial Sophia goes to England with Elizabeth.
Lamie is then brought to England where he is basically used as a 'supergrass' giving evidence in Liverpool and Scotland at the trials of Fenian 'Dynamitar's'..he then as far as I can see disappears off the face of the earth.
So then I start searching for his family.
I start with the surname 'Lamie's' on the 1901 Census and one intersting match comes up.

1901.. 4.2 Sth King St has a Elizabeth Lamie aged 50 who is a widow living with her daughter 'Elizabeth' aged 21...(William lamies daughter was born 1881?)

1911.. 4.3 Sth King St Elizabeth Lamie aged 64 widow is a newsagent.
also at the address is her daughter Elizabeth who has married a James Malone,they married in June 1902..SO I purchased their Marriage cert and on it she states her Father as WILLIAM LAMIE.

I think its fair to assume that Sophia had returned to Dublin and changed her christian name to protect herself and family from further 'publicity'.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 05 May 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
This is what I have on Fredrick William Nassau Poole..lets see if our info Tally's.
Born circa 1800 ..employment   a house painter.
Marries Mary/Maria Drake..they have at least 6 children between 1825-41..Mary Die's circa 1841 possibly in childbirth.

In 1841-42 he remarries to Elizabeth Acton who is a widow, they have 5 children.
James William 1842
Margaret 1843
Anna Maria 1845 dies 1847
Letita Vance 1848

In 1851 Fredrick is on the Census as living at Finsbury Middlesex with Elizabeth and John from previous marraige..there is also Margaret, Letita, and Thomas aged 1 who was born St Giles in Middlesex...all the others execpt Thomas were born Dublin.
On Thomas Birth cert it gives Father's name as F.W.Poole Housepainter.

Offline Cariboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 05 May 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Grizzly1   It seems I have all the same info as you on the Pooles except for the William Lamie which I will research as it is very interesting.   
I have shared all my extensive Poole research with just about all the Pooles in Dublin so there is a great deal of it floating around.
As far as old Frederick's father's name goes I do know in Ireland there was traditionally a very strong naming pattern for the eldest children born into a family.  The eldest son would be named after his paternal grandfather and the second son after his maternal grandfather, the third son after his father.
If this were the case with our Pooles then old Frederick's father would also have been Frederick........and Maria Drake's father would have been Edward.   
Their second son, Edward, is my gr gr grandfather.
Thanks for the info you have shared.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 05 May 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
Grizzly1   It seems I have all the same info as you on the Pooles except for the William Lamie which I will research as it is very interesting.   
I have shared all my extensive Poole research with just about all the Pooles in Dublin so there is a great deal of it floating around.
As far as old Frederick's father's name goes I do know in Ireland there was traditionally a very strong naming pattern for the eldest children born into a family.  The eldest son would be named after his paternal grandfather and the second son after his maternal grandfather, the third son after his father.
If this were the case with our Pooles then old Frederick's father would also have been Frederick........and Maria Drake's father would have been Edward.   
Their second son, Edward, is my gr gr grandfather.
Thanks for the info you have shared.

Do you think the Aungier street Edward 1766..was Fredricks Father ?

Offline Cariboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 05 May 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
Grizzly1    There is a baptism of a Frederick Poole of Castle Street at St. Werburgh, Dublin December 1773 son of Frederick Poole and Elizabeth.  If our Poole family followed traditional naming patterns then our Frederick of 1808 may be the son of this Frederick and grandson of Frederick and Elizabeth.

If he was a master tailor he would be a freeman of the city and lists of freeman are in the Dublin City Archives.   I don't know what info is documented when they become a freeman but it may give some family info.   If you are in Dublin maybe a trip to the Archives would be worthwhile.  I would do it but I'm a long, long way from there.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 06 May 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
Tara's reply 44 page 5 this topic
William Lamie,Tobbacconist,4 King St,South.
Glasnevin shows his burial as age 40 in 1885

so therefore the Elizabeth on 1901/1911 census is most likely his widow
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mansion_House/King_Street_South/1343013/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mansion_House/King_Street__South/100519/

the proof in the matter would lie in the church register for the Malone/Lamie marriage to get Elizabeth Lamie's maiden name

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 06 May 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
Tara's reply 44 page 5 this topic
William Lamie,Tobbacconist,4 King St,South.
Glasnevin shows his burial as age 40 in 1885

so therefore the Elizabeth on 1901/1911 census is most likely his widow
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mansion_House/King_Street_South/1343013/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mansion_House/King_Street__South/100519/

the proof in the matter would lie in the church register for the Malone/Lamie marriage to get Elizabeth Lamie's maiden name

Regs the marriage would Elizabeth Lamie's maiden name not be Lamie.??..she married James Malone in 1902.