Author Topic: Owen & Eleanor Jones Craig y Gigfran  (Read 2250 times)

Offline cuddlescat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen & Eleanor Jones Craig y Gigfran
« on: Thursday 27 August 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
I have only just started researching my roots and have commenced my family tree. Reading some of the entries on this site I can see there are others trying to trace the background on the same persons. I had a great, great, great grandfather Owen Jones who, with his wife Eleanor (Ellen / Ellin) lived in Craig y Gigfran, Pentraeth Forest. I'm trying to trace where Eleanor is buried, I know Owen is in Pentraeth Cemetery. Also their son Llewelyn and his wife Mary who originally hailed from Abergwyngregyn, does anyone know where they are buried?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owen & Eleanor Jones Craig y Gigfran
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, so that we can possibly help, when/where was the last census return you have for them all and dates/places of their births?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuddlescat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 August 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
The last census in which Eleanor Jones appeared was 1881 living at Craig y Gigfran. She was born in Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf in 1805/06 and died before the next census of 1891. Llewelyn Jones was born at at Craig y Gigfran in 1854 and he appears on the 1911 census. The property became empty in 1915 and understand that, after Mary his wife's death, he moved to a property known as Glandwr, Red Whalf Bay. Mary, Llewelyns wife was born in Abergwyngregin circa 1846 and the last census she appeared in was that for Craig y Gigfran in 1911. It is therefore considered that she died between 1911 and 1915 when the property became unoccupied.

Offline catringoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Cat, I have a wealth of information about this family - are you still doing the research?
I have a copy of the burial in the parish record, I think it's Pentraeth.  The cottage is shortened to Gigfran or Cigfran quite often, and her names appears as Ellin, Elin, Ellen and Ellinor etc. Are you on Ancestry - http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/65501431/person/32138041863/story that might actually open up on her page where you can a see a copy of the record.

Burial day 1 Oct 1889 (Parish of Pentraeth)
Age 84
Jones / Roberts / Eames/ Owen / Griffiths - Llanddona / Llanfaes / Llansadwrn Sir Fon, Anglesey
Morgans / Samuel - Llanarthe / Llannon
Jacob - Llandeilo Fawr
Hopkins - Pontarddulais

Offline Gwenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
I have also recently started my family tree, Ellen and owen Jones were my great great great grandparents. My great grandfather was Christmas Jones, Llewelyn and Mary's son.  I have visited St Mary's church in Pentraeth today and found Owen Jones's grave ( which is nondescript to say the least) but there is no mention of Ellen (Elin, Eleanor) on the gravestone, records show that Ellen is also buried in St Mary's but I failed to find her grave. Has anyone any idea where Llewelyn and Mary are buried?   

Offline catringoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Gwenno,
I have a note of Llewelyn being buried in Llanddona
30 Jul 1936

And Mary 12 Feb 1913 in Pentraeth.

Can't check my records properly until next week but I have a copy of his burial record online. Message me if you want.

Good luck
Catrin
Jones / Roberts / Eames/ Owen / Griffiths - Llanddona / Llanfaes / Llansadwrn Sir Fon, Anglesey
Jacob - Llandeilo Fawr
Hopkins - Pontarddulais

Offline Gwenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Diolch Catrin, any information or records you have would be very helpful.  I wonder why they are not buried together! I have just found out that Llywelyn lived in Pentrebolion in Llanddona when he died. Are we related then?

Offline catringoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Mae'n rhaid ein bod yn perthyn Gwenno!

Llewelyn - g grand father
William James g grandfather

Wyt ti wedi darganfod y cofnodion papur newydd am y Gigfran eto?
Have you come across the criminal court cases involving Gigfran yet?!

Hwyl
Catrin

Jacob - Llandeilo Fawr
Hopkins - Pontarddulais