Author Topic: Military Medal  (Read 2820 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 October 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Frank,

He was Gazetted on 18th July 1917

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30188/supplement/7285/data.pdf

According to Mr Williamson's book on Great War Medals this was for actions around Arras in the Allied Spring Offensive April to early June 1917. Looking at the War Diary for that period there are numerous actions with no mention of him in person. The dates that stand out are 9th - 11th April and 30th April.

Your best bet would be to read through the War Diary for that period he may get a mention but without the citation you'll struggle to find anything.

Reading the War Diary for 5th April 1918, they were in the Trenches at "Henencourt" near Albert when they were attacked following a heavy bombardment of various calibres and gas shells. The action went all day with the Germans eventually being driven back.

The Gazette for 25th April 1918 covers actions in March up to the start of the German offensive. Again looking at the War Diary there are only 2 actions mentioned, both were raids on the trenches by the Germans 12th and 17th March in the "Fleurbaix Sector" to the west of"Armentières". It's possible he could have been given his Bar to the MM then?

Hope this helps.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline JayEffBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help on this. Will follow up and see what I can find.

Offline JayEffBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello David
Can you tell me which volume and edition of Williamson`s book I need to look at and also where do I find the War Diaries?

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 October 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

It's Volume 1 if you can still get a copy although, it won't tell much more than what I put in the response. It doesn't give any citations just the corresponding dates to the Gazette entries.

He is publishing another book later with some more information which I'm hoping to get a copy of.

I have the same problem as you in that, My G Grandfather won the MM but there's no citation and nobody in the family knows why!

As for the War Diaries, they're on Ancestry if you have access? If not send me a PM and I'll look them up again for you.

Regards

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry to but in David... but my relative Thomas Capes died on April 9th 1917 in the spring Offensive in Arras...would love to find the diary entry if you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Do you have access to Ancestry? or The National Archives?

Was he in the 20th (Tyneside Scottish) Bttn, Northumberland Fusiliers?

If so, drop me a PM and I'll have a quick look for you.

David

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Yes he was...I photographed his grave this year in Bailleul Road East cemetery in July...I do have access to Ancestry but not sure how to find the diaries.,,,Thanks for your response.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 October 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

There's nothing on there yet, You need to go to the "Search" page and "Unit Histories" and find the "War Diaries" section.

There is however, a very good book by John sheen on the Tyneside Scottish, 20th - 23rd Battalions if you can get a copy?

David

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 October 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
Oh....great...thanks for that David...really helpful.
Carol