Author Topic: Baptism lookup for Shipton-under-Wychwood please  (Read 1416 times)

Offline MAOLALAIDH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup for Shipton-under-Wychwood please
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for the baptism record please of my 3x great grandfather James Perry who gave his place of birth as Ramsden in Oxfordshire, I think this means that he would likely have been baptised in Shipton-under-Wychwood?? His year of birth was usually given as 1828, but as usual in those days it was sometimes listed as a few years either side of that, so he could have been born in the 1820s or 1830s.

regards,

James.
LALLY
HIBBIT
BURNHAM
LYNE
MURPHY

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup for Shipton-under-Wychwood please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
Is any fathers name/occupation shown on his marriage cert? 

In 1861 his birthplace is Witney and birthyear 1836

1871 Ramsden 1831

The 1841 has a 5yr old James Perry in Banbury - father Thomas occ nurseryman
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MAOLALAIDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Thank you, yes that his him in 1861/1871. 1881 gives his birth as 1831 in Ramsden, 1891 gives his birth as 1828 in Ramsden. That could be him on the 1841 census?? I'm not sure.

Ramsden is a just north of Witney and was a parish in Shipton-under-Wychwood in the Union of Witney, so that's probably why Witney was recorded as his place of birth on the 1861 census.

There was also a James Perry on the 1851 census living in Handborough, Witney Union, very near to Ramsden, but it says he was born in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. The family are living in Melksham, Wiltshire in 1841. The father of this James Perry was Obediah or Obadiah.

I don't have his marriage certificate as I can't find a marriage record for him. His wife was called Lydia, there is a possibility he married in 1850 as there is a James Perry and Lydia Stevens in the list of names for the 4th Quarter of 1850 in the Walsall district. I can't find the correct birth for their daughter Fanny Perry either (she was my 2x great grandmother). I may have to end up purchasing the birth certificate for one of Fanny's younger siblings to see what it says their mothers maiden name was and work back from there.

I guess there is no baptism for a James Perry in Shipton-under-Wychwood during the 1820s or 1830s??

regards,

James.
LALLY
HIBBIT
BURNHAM
LYNE
MURPHY

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again James

Ramsden started its own PR's in for Baptism in 1842. I have just looked in Shipton under Wychwood and the latest I can see in there is 1703 so there should be a record elsewhere.

I recommend asking the Oxfordshire Family History Society for a look up on their baptism index for all of Oxfordshire and see where that takes you.

www.ofhs.org.uk

He may have been baptised in another religion - perhaps Methodist, Baptists and so on? Often a family would change church to which ever was offering the most poor benefits!
He may of course never have been baptised?
He may also have been baptised as an adult before his marriage so it will be a good idea to check that out if only for elimination?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline MAOLALAIDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

kind regards,

James.
LALLY
HIBBIT
BURNHAM
LYNE
MURPHY