Author Topic: is this the same person?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
is this the same person?
« on: Sunday 30 August 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone . I have Henry Andrews born 17 jan1818 to Thomas and Eliz in Duxford.                                                         I have Henry Andrews age 34 who died on the ship Blundell on voyage to NSW in 1853 . He was married to Eleanor Andrews from Duxford.                               There is a family story that someone went to Australia and died but no proof. So could some kind person verify or discount that this is the same person please ?                                     

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: is this the same person?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
There's no quick or easy way to do what you ask. You need to go through all records eg 1841 and 1851 censuses; his marriage entry/marriage certificate; was there a Henry Andrews born Duxford in the 1861 or subsequent censuses (in which case he wasn't the one who died in 1853); was he accompanied by his wife and/or children on the voyage to Australia - have you found them on a passenger list?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
HO107/1761/89; p 6

1851  census    Duxford

Henry Andrews  33    Ag Labourer 
 Ellen Andrews  34
 Anne Andrews  9
 Elizabeth Andrews  3
 Lois Andrews  5 Mo

all  born Duxford 

Lois  Andrews  goes  on to marry  a  William Gillan Massingham in 1873 in New South Wales    Australia  ,  and  on  her death   in 1935  the  index  on Ancestry  shows  her fathers surname  name was Andrews      Not  actual  proof that  Henry  Andrews died on route  ,   but  at aged  3  I doubt Lois  was on her  own on  board ship 

Lois Maseingham in the Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985

Edit Just noticed  a LOIS ANN ANDREWS   born  in SEPT Qtr 1850 ,     she  and  parents are  in 1861  census,     but  quite a  few  trees have  her  marrying  William Gillan Massingham,  so  I May  have the wrong Lois  in  my  assumption   :-\

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.asp?Page=NRS5316/4_4790/Blundell_5%20May%201853/4_479000531.jpg&No=1

Found  the above  link  on another  Rootschat  thread  ,  The  link  shows       an Eleanor Andrews  down as  wife  ,  aged 36 along with   children  Ann aged 11  Elizabeth aged   5  and Lois  aged 3    all  from Duxford   arrived in NSW 5th May  1853

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your prompt reply bedfordshire boy. I do not have a marriage cert for them will have to see if I can find anything else. Thankyou very much for your help.                                       Sue

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much Jan that is the family I'm looking at . Henry is the eldest brother of my direct ancestor who went to USA so I've concentrated more on him. I don't think Henry is on the 1861 census though.I'm sure I couln't find him a few years ago and he remains blank in my records.                                                          Thankyou for all your help Jan                   Sue

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Please can someone look up a marriage date for Henry and Eleanor then I can apply to the Records Office for the record ? I will be very grateful for the help.          Sue

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 August 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Using the GRO index at www.freebmd.org.uk there's a marriage in Linton registration district, which includes Duxford, between Henry Andrews and Eleanor Ward in the Sept quarter 1840 vol 14 page 113. You can order the certificate online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ cost £9-25

An Elinor Ward was born in Duxford on 21 Jun 1816, baptised at the Independent Church Duxford on 25 Nov 1816, the daughter of William and Elizabeth, which fits with the Ellen in 1851
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Bedfordshireboy, thankyou so much for the wedding date and all the extra information. I am very grateful indeed hopefully I can now link him to my family and resolve a family story.                           I can't buy online so will have to wait for the post.                                                         Thankyou for all your help, kind regards   Sue