Author Topic: William SPINKS in Grenadier guards circa 1871  (Read 2580 times)

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William SPINKS in Grenadier guards circa 1871
« on: Sunday 30 August 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
I know a William SPINKS is in Wellington Barracks 1871 aged 33 b Downham Market  , and married in 1873 in St George Hanover Square. I know he survived his service, not sure when he joined, possible pre 1861.
He also had a brother Josiah who disappears of the records, post 1851, and there is apoosiblity that he also joined one of the services but did not return.
Not sure what resources are available, a) as a request for lookup, b) for future research.
I rarely get to Kew, ancestry has nothing, findmypast appears to have a William SPINKS army record from this era but not b Downham area. but no Josiah.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William SPINKS in Grenadier guards circa 1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Yes FindMyPast has William's army discharge papers. 1st (Grenadier) Guards, 1858-1873. Born Downham.

Don't see anything there for Josiah at first pass.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
In 1873 he is listed as a drummer in Grenadier Guards, info from Forces war Records, pay to view.
Can't find anything on Crimea Medal Rolls

James

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Possible for Josiah on 1861? Royal Marine Barracks Infirmary, Quarters and Outbuildings, Woolwich

Josh Spink aged 19 b Downham.Private, Royal Marines

RG 9, 405, 107, 39

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
William got a deferred pension of 4d a day from 31st March 1887 - which could be his 50th birthday.

After 8 years and 241 days service he re-engaged to take him to 20 years. But changed his mind after 14 years. If he had seen his 20 years out he would have got a pension on discharge. On re-engaging he would have received 1d a day extra pay.

He ended up with three Good Conduct 'badges'. Each one was worth another 1d a day. Which on a basic of (probably) 1s 1d/13d a day would have been significant.

Ken

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
A big thank you for all for your contributions following my posting, I am hoping to find both William's and Josiah's sister/half sister (b circa 1832)  Sarah to complete the story 
Phil

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
The Grenadier Guards had three battalions. His service record does not appear to give his battalion, but the 1871 census has "2nd Battalion" on the first page.

Do you have him in 1861? He is in a detachment in North Camp, Aldershot made up from men from the three Guards regiments. What makes him hard to find is that the clerk who made out the census form transposes his birthplace with the soldier below - http://tinyurl.com/obcnshu - the age is wrong as well.

The officers are listed on the first page, and those of the Grenadiers I have checked were in the 2nd Battalion.

Ken

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 August 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
I thought this was a possibility, but it does not quite tie up.
W Spinks Birth:  1837 - London, England
Residence:  1861 - At Sea, Vessels, Misc Ships at Sea or Abroad, England .
My William is definitely not William Lowcock SPINK who appears to have lived in Leeds in later census returns.
The entry from Aldershot is certainly a possibility, and more likely than the above.
Is there any indication where he served.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
Is there any indication where he served.

His record does not mention overseas service, and they do not say where he served at home. The only way to find out the actual town/fort is to look up the muster books in Kew. They tell you where he was for the monthly muster. This was a parade required by the War Office to justify the request for wages.

I think having a man next to him with the correct place of birth, makes it more than a 'possibility'.

If you have £30-32 to spare you can ask the archivist for the Grenadiers in their museum to see if they have a copy of his records. The Guards aqre one of only a handful of regiments who kept a separate copy of service records. The civil servants have over the years culled the record down to the four page discharge document now on FindMyPast to save space.

Ken