Author Topic: Hilda Lizzie WHIDDETT  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Euphonium23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hilda Lizzie WHIDDETT
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,
Here attached is a photo of John Whiddett.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Whoops! Sorry JenB

You need to use the 'modify' button on the relevant posting to remove the name  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Euphonium23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Al
Hopefully you will get the picture promised

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 31 August 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the picture I have very little 'flesh' on my Grandmother's side of the family, so pictures are much appreciated. 

You have set me wondering, several years ago I had the pleasure to speak to Roy Leslie Stanford who had carried out an exhaustive research on the Whiddett Family (his mother was Lillian Florence Whiddett).  He provided much information about my line, but I know he had so much more about the family.  He even mentioned links to the Walloons.  Whilst I think I know which family we connect with in Picardy I have yet to make the link.

As Roy sadly died in 2006, I wondered if anyone knows where his records went, as I do not think he had any close family. It would be such a shame if it was all lost, as his research was carried out the old fashion way with numerous phone calls and dusty trawls through old records.  Perhaps a salutatory lesson for all genealogists...

Please let me know if you want to take your tree further back an I will PM you with a file.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline Euphonium23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 31 August 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,

Thanks for your message. I know of Roy L Stanford. He contacted my mother many years ago and later sent her 4 sheets that contains Whiddett family tree in great detail. My mother was not over interested beyond her mother's generation and later gave them to me.
My sadness with all the work that dear Roy put in, is that when I started to investigate my gran's siblings, (John and Emma Whiddett's children), I discovered that it was full of inaccuracies. He had not only listed 12 children instead of 13, but inserted two Whiddetts that were not John and Emma's children and missed out three who were! The two he inserted were registered at Blean as were most of J&E's children, but they belonged to another family. With so many errors in such small part of this mammoth work, I was left wondering how many more errors had been made. I verified everything with birth certificates etc.
I have discovered errors in a number of other people's records of J&E's family. When I point out the errors, some correct their trees and others ignore me. It seems to me that there is a lot of misinformation being passed on from one tree to another.
I have a record of your ancestor Alfred. He was one of 11 children of Henry and Mary Ann Whiddett. I guess John (my great granddad), had my gran named after his mother for she was Mary Ann Maud.
Do you live anywhere near Canterbury? If so you will see four Whiddetts on the war memorial outside the Cathedral gates. One isn't related, but three are sons of John, brothers of my gran.

Offline Euphonium23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 September 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,
Attached is an article from the Kent Messenger that I wrote about my grandmother and her siblings, the Whiddett family, that might interest you. I am awaiting the marriage certificate of Hilda Dadd in the hope that it will confirm that it is my grandmother's youngest sister.
I hope all is well with you
Howard
PS It hasn't worked. I have tried sending more photos to you before Al, but they are either too large or take too long to load. I don't know what to do about that. Not sure how I was able to send the one you did get?

Offline Euphonium23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 September 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,
Just to say, thank you again for all your help. I purchased a marriage certificate for Hilda Whiddett/Dadd that confirms that it was her that married George E F Harvey in 1946, but the birth certificate of Jeffrey Harvey 1947 revealed mere coincidence. His parents were not Hilda and George. They were Geoffrey Harvey and Ivy Olive nee Dadd. Shame.
I hope you are getting these messages. I would send more Whiddett photos but the website's system will not upload, they are too big, (whatever that means).
Best wishes
Howard

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 19 September 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
The reason I ask is that there is a marriage of a Hilda E Dadd to a George Harvey in 1946.

Hi Al,
Just to say, thank you again for all your help. I purchased a marriage certificate for Hilda Whiddett/Dadd that confirms that it was her that married George E F Harvey in 1946,

One mystery solved at least  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Euphonium23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 October 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
Just to say, mystery solved regarding Hilda Lizzie Whiddett. She did marry George Edward Frederick Harvey in 1946. I have a marriage certificate. In addition, I now have his death certificate. He died in 1960. I also have Hilda's death certificate, where her name is not recorded as Hilda Elzabeth Harvey nee Dadd, as entered on her marriage certificate, (which was her adoptive name, whether official or unofficial), but Hilda Lizzie Harvey, with her 'maiden surname Whiddet, they just missed out a 't' in the spelling.
She died in her home and I presume the authorities found her birth certificate with her birth name on it.
Thank you everyone for your help with this
Howard