Author Topic: Advice please on finding William Houghton Monk  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Smonk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please on finding William Houghton Monk
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 September 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
I can add some information to this.  William Houghton was my grandfather (through Gwen Jinks).  They returned to England and in the 1940 my grandmother and all her children left him as he was "already married".  They returned to Canada. My father never saw his Dad again. 

Now I also have documentation of a divorce between William and Evelyn.  26 I believe - I'll have to dig it up.

I didn't get much from my Grandmother or older uncles but the the description of cad was used...     

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 September 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I guessed he was a bit of a wrong un as he was born in December 1900 and said he was 28 when he married in 1921 and I doubt he was a lieutenant Commander at age 20?
It looks like Evelyn remarried in 1933 and died in 1948 aged 53. Thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline Old Trafford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 November 15 16:40 GMT (UK) »
James Raymond Stott was my step grandfather. He married Alice Jane Melrose in 1922 in Oldham. He resided at 24 Edward Street in Oldham. Witnesses to the marriage were Doris Mildred Stott and Mary Ann Stott.  His father James was deceased at the time of the marriage. I never met James Raymond so I won't throw stones, but he and my Grandmother Alice Melrose had parted ways in the 1930-1940 or so. Esme was my aunt. She passed away in 2014 at the age of 91 in the United States. Esme sister is still alive and living in the UK. Ronald Stott married Elsie Martin and had a son Ronald Martin, who was killed in WWII at Salerno. A nephew of Ronald Martin's is living in the UK.  I hope this fills in part of the puzzle.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 November 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you for the information, I have managed to sort out what happened to the Stott family and I am in contact with Ronald Martins nephew, he didn't know much but was able to help with the sisters married names.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 November 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I posted before saying thank-you & best wishes Glyn