Author Topic: Advice please on finding William Houghton Monk  (Read 6741 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
Birth reg FreeBMD

William Houghton Monk
Mar qtr 1901
Prestwich
8d 396

Index Alien Arrival at canadian seaport 1904-1944
Evelyn M Monk

I don't have access to image so no actual year

Wonder if Evelyn died in Canada??

or is this her?

Arrival 22 July 1925 Hull England
point of departure Basra
Mrs E M Monk
"Overlaw"? Lightwide? Rd Buxton Derbys age 31

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
I have no direct knowledge of these folks, but I do have some personal experience with second marriage mysteries in my own research. In the days before computers and such, anyone could say anything they liked about themselves and no one could really prove otherwise, especially in the case of immigrants.

My own great grandmother married in Scotland, immigrated to Canada with her husband, was abandoned here by him when he returned to Scotland, took a job as a housekeeper and married her boss. She put 'widow' on the marriage reg. (she had a child), but her first husband lived on another 40+ years! Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall the day his solicitor sent her divorce papers so first husband could legally remarry, and this was over 20 years since she had (not quite legally) remarried.

My husband's great aunt married a bachelor. Well, she thought he was, because that is what he told her, but he got worried about lying in a house of God and so confessed that he had been married, had 2 kids and was widowed back in England. He confessed this while standing at the alter about to get married!
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information, I have just contacted a grandson of Evelyn's brother
Ronald Stott so hopefully he may be able to shed some light on this mystery.
Thanks Glyn
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
please let us know the outcome

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
This William H Monk seems a cad if he was born 1901 and says he was 28 when he married in 1921! Then later claimed to be a bachelor.
 These Stotts were known as the rich relatives, they had 4 mills in Oldham, my Grandad cousin Mary Ann Collin had 3 illegitimate children to James Stott hen he married her in 1896 and had 2 more James Raymond & Doris Mildred in 1899. Mary Ann was widowed 1914 and died 1928.
I have tracked all her siblings exept one Edith Alice Collin born 5-11-1869 she was a cotton reeler unmarried lodging with a Sabina Smith in 1901 then by 1911 no trace no death or marriage. In 1901 she is Edith Collins age 31.
I thought she must be overseas and as Doris Mildred Stott is is missing in 1911 thought she might have taken her on a trip? Ronald Stott went to Oxford and James Raymond married and think he went to Derbyshire but the 2 sisters are a mystery there is nothing on Doris Mildred apart from 2 x Miss D M Stott on incoming passengers. Wondered if they'd been visiting their aunt Edith? and Evelyn Maud is a mystery after her marriage.
There is an Edith Alice Collin marrying in 1925 but she was born 1904 the daughter of Edith's nephew.  Hopefully will get some answers from Ronald's grandson as his mother is still alive at 92 but they seemed to be private people they only discovered Ronald was born a Collin after his death in 1975.
 Thanks everybody for the help, I haven't much of a clue with overseas stuff.  Glyn
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
th reg

Arrival 22 July 1925 Hull England
point of departure Basra
Mrs E M Monk
"Overlaw"? Lightwide? Rd Buxton Derbys age 31

Suz

wonder if this is Evelyn Maud and she was going to stay with brother James Raymond??

Suz

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please on finding William Houghton Monk
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
    I know that Evelyn had a couple of maiden aunts who died in Buxton in the late 1930 s
Also noticed an Evelyn M Stott in immigrations with India.
Ancestry says William Houghton Monk was born 11 Dec 1900 and died Mar 1973 at Ashton but there is no will for him. I think her brother was living in Chorlton in 1923 where they had a daughter Esme, just gets more confusing.  Glyn

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 September 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
Is this one of the aunts??

Probate
Edith Stott of Derby House Broad Walk Buxton Derbyshire spinster died 19 Feb 1940 Probate London 5 April to Leslie hamilton, cotton waste dealer, and Arthur Robert Chadwick, raiser & finisher
Effects £19848 10s 7d

Suz

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi yes that is one of the aunts, the other is Sarah who died 1 Jan 1939 the family home was Woodleigh Cheadle Cheshire, their mother and brother both died 1928 and he left
over 89k!   Found today that James Raymond daughter Esme emigrated to New York in 1948 Thanks Glyn