Author Topic: Victoria/Queensland: Robert Hallett PICKERING  (Read 6543 times)

Offline William H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria/Queensland: Robert Hallett PICKERING
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
Sue, thanks for the info.     The Margaret Ann Whalan, who married Robert Hallett Pickering in 1867 in Rockhampton, was the daughter of James and Ann, (Donnelly), Whalan.  She was born in Windsor NSW on 12/01/1841 and presumably came to Woodford Island for the birth of Matilda Annie because her parents had taken up a selection in that area.          Subsequent to the registration of the birth of Matilda Annie, I can find no further references to either Margaret Ann or Matilda Annie.  I have searched both marriage and death records and news items in both NSW and Qld, hence the interest in references to the death of Margaret Ann in 1916.  I thought perhaps Margaret Ann had married again.     It was thought that a Matilda Pickering who married Henry Dickenson in NSW might be our Matilda Annie but this appears not to be the case.

Tony, thanks for your reply and I agree we need to facilitate a more direct communications so that we can discuss our own particular involvement with the “Pickering” family.    I am relatively unfamiliar with the system so perhaps you can assist me with this.
To clarify one issue, I was not suggesting that Catherine, (Kate), Dunn(e) was the same person as the Catherine Pickering, (daughter of R H Pickering), who married Edward Staunton of Saltern Creek Station, in fact just the opposite.     Catherine Dunn was the daughter of Michael Dunn of Yea.
Catherine Pickering who married Edward Staunton was born in 1851 and died in 1881 and could have possibly been an older sister of Robert Hulbert Pickering but there were a number of different Pickering families in Yea so she may have been no relation.   

My particular interest in the history of Robert Hallett Pickering stems from the fact that I am one of his descendants.
Regards, Bill.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Bill,

Glad you responded, providing a chance for me to send you a Personal Message (PM) with my email address.   The notification that I have sent the PM will be via your inbox and the instructions to open the PM are straightforward.

My interest in Robert Hallett PICKERING is purely academic, in that I am researching for a PhD, as a mature (very) postgraduate, to evaluate the success or otherwise of Parkhurst Prison 1838-1864 as a reformatory for juvenile offenders, one of whom was Robert Hallett PICKERING.  I try to create a Biography for each offender which presents the evidence for me to judge the outcome.   Your ancestor's case is on the plus side. ::) 

For the moment,

Tony

Offline easyrider123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Just a note of interest. I have been researching the Randall family who came to New South Wales from Ireland in 1840. From what I have found it seems that Edward Staunton who married Catherine Pickering was originally known as Edward Randall who lived in Gresford, New South Wales. I have not been able to verify positively that Edward Randall changed his name to Edward Staunton, and was wondering if anyone would have any leads. I am a descendant of Edward Randall's father - Francis Randall.

Offline William H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 February 17 03:19 GMT (UK) »
To easyrider123,   I may be able to offer some info regarding birth records relating to Yea/Muddy Creek
in the 1850s.   You may wish to set up a more direct communication after making a further post.
William H.

Offline easyrider123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 February 17 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William. What I know about Edward Staunton is at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Randall-3305.
I have also added the marriage record of Catherine Pickering/Edward Staunton at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Pickering-1668. Her father's name is given as Robert Pickering and her mother's name as Ann McMullen (rather than Mullen).

Offline William H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Re the wife of my great-grandfather, Robert Hallett Pickering of Muddy Creek/Yea Victoria, the name of his wife, my great-grandmother, was Ann Mullen, (not McMulen).    I have a copy of her death certificate and details of her family.   The details of her death were subscribed by her nephew whose
surname was "Loan" and he was the son of her sister.
So it appears that the Catherine Pickering who married Edward Staunton was not the the daughter of
of Robert Hallet Pickering.
Regards, William H.