Author Topic: Stumped! ATTAWAY Faversham Area 1845 - ??  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Stumped! ATTAWAY Faversham Area 1845 - ??
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 December 15 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if he lied about his age because she was older than him? If that census is right there would be 8 years difference, but by adding on 5 years it made it look a bit better as there were only 3 years.

Although that William is probably this one, so John not James

Births Jun 1849   
ATTAWAY    William John        Faversham    5   181   

Just to add some clarity to this fellow, above, he was christened at Faversham as William John OTTAWAY 22 Apr 1849 the son of William and Harriet OTTAWAY.

William John ATTAWAY married Harriet ANDERSON December Quarter 1846 somewhere in Faversham District (likely Luddenham having regard to her birthplace and as marriage was not at Faversham) references vol. 5, p. 307.

This switch of spelling between ATTAWAY and OTTAWAY was a very common occurrence in that area of Kent.  I have OTTAWAY kinship branches based out of Faversham and Ospringe and the frequent change is quite a challenge.

Sadly, I do not have any reference to William James ATTAWAY but will keep watch for him and pass along anything I find.

Good luck.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE