Author Topic: You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o  (Read 8439 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 27 November 16 12:17 GMT (UK) »
When I was a trainee nurse, and trained nurses wore veils, we called that the "new veil syndrome" - the sudden authority does seem to go to some people's head  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M

When I was a wee girl I always wanted a hat like that, was most annoyed they'd changed the uniform by the time I had one.  Although if I'm honest I probably had a lucky escape.   Still get some newly qualified with attitude problems mind you.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
One place I worked at had an employee who never seemed to benefit from formal or informal training, just coming up with problems which the training should have sorted out.

Their surname was Hassell.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 27 November 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
When I was a trainee nurse, and trained nurses wore veils, we called that the "new veil syndrome" - the sudden authority does seem to go to some people's head  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M

Glad I am not the only one who says that sudden authority and success brings out the bad attitude in them.

If you had a moody, mean boss called Peace, that would be the oxymoron of oxymorons.

As for bullying, if you report it to people who are supposed to deal with it you get answers such as "could they be having a laugh". No. Banter is only banter if both like it, if one does not then it is not banter but bullying.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »

Dawn M

Glad I am not the only one who says that sudden authority and success brings out the bad attitude in them.

If you had a moody, mean boss called Peace, that would be the oxymoron of oxymorons.

As for bullying, if you report it to people who are supposed to deal with it you get answers such as "could they be having a laugh". No. Banter is only banter if both like it, if one does not then it is not banter but bullying.

Lol at the oxymoron.

I once stupidly reported bullying (24 yrs ago).  It is one of my big regrets in life. Was told to look into myself, work out why anyone would want to pick on me, once I had fixed myself and only then could I complain if it continued. I have been trying to fix myself ever since and haven't had one breakthrough so I have had to start isolating myself from society (easier said than done btw) so that noon is subjected to my company.  I tend to fail at that too so punish myself although I ahve managed to stop going to work's nights out.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 27 November 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Pratt
   I hope that is not a comment on the previous post        ;D

Topic resurrected after 16 months.

Obviously ran its course before so am locking it now.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea